Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 67 327. Wondering what diameter/size bolts i'm going to need to get this thing on the stand. I'm thinking at least 6 inches in length, and i'll fill up the slack with some washers. I'm guessing 3/8 diameter. Any other ideas would be great

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If it's like every one I've ever seen it will take 4 each 3/8X16 bolts and how long they need to be will depend on the type stand you use. Just measure the lenght of the mount on the stand and add 1/2 inch for the block to thread it in.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I learned this trick from this site:
To take up the slack in the large holes of the engine stand's bracket use a piece of rubber hose (fuel line) cut the length of the support tube on the bracket - then the bolt goes thru it.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
what size bolts for engine stand?

I'm picking up my short block 350 next week. I have a stand and need to get 4 mounting bolts. Can anyone advise me as to what diameter / pitch I should buy. I plan on getting some good heavy duty hardened bolts tomorrow. thanks

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
nothing "special" is needed, a std grade fastener is all that's needed... length depends on the arm depth of the stand but the bolt size is 3/8-16

hope i helped :D

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Just pulled a bolt from a 350 on my engine stand. It's a 3/8 by 16 NC 2 1/2" long.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Grade 2 bolts are rated at 43,000 psi @ 75% yeild strength
Grade 5 bolts are rated at 69,000 psi @ 75% yield strength
Grade 8 bolts are rated at 98,000 psi @ 75% yield strength
The root diameter of a 3/8-16 bolt is 0.294", providing an area of .0679 square inches.

Grade 2 3/8-16 bolts would be rated at 2919# each @ 75% yield strength for a total of 11,676# for four of them.
Grade 5 3/8-16 bolts would be rated at 4684# each @ 75% yeild strength for a total of 18,376# for four of them.
Grade 8 3/8-16 bolts would be rated at 6653# each @ 75% yeild strength for a total of 26,612# for four of them.

I have yet to have an engine that weighs even 10% of the lowest figure. My concern would be on the welded tube that holds the head.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bolt Size

Anyone know what the bolt / thread size is for a stock 6 cyl 194 engine to use on an engine stand?

I'll figure out the length .....

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Since the 6-cyl uses the same bellhousing as the V-8 I'll bet the bolts are the same.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used some old bronze bolts that were laying around--unless you plan on jumping up and down on the engine while it's sitting there, somehow I think bolt strength will be a non-issue. Hit up the hardware store for whatever will fit. And don't apply 200 ft.lbs. to the bolts either, a little over finger tight will hold just fine.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
thanks everybody. I'll get the best bolts NAPA has. I got lucky with my stand. I was driving down the street one day and passed a shop that had a brand new stand and cherry picker sitting outside the bay. As I drove a bit more i saw their old stand and cherry picker on the side of the shop. I just happened to have my dad's pickup that day cause I was working on it for him. The shop owner told me I could have the stand and hoist if I took it right there and then. Sometimes I get lucky, not often. Anyway, the stand is 4 legged, 4 wheeled and very heavy duty but was missing one of the 4 brackets that mount to the motor. I went to harbor freight and they wanted 50 bucks for 4 brackets MIC. I stopped by a local welding shop and the guy made me an exact duplicate for 40. i think I did pretty good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
engine stand bolts??

Okay stupid question time. I am ready to put my 283 on the engine stand to begin tearing it down but I don't know what size bolts to buy and don't have any to use as examples. The stand I have has 2" deep mount tubes so can some one tell me what size bolts to buy that will fully seat in the block?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I used 3" Grade 8 bolts from NAPA. You probably could get away with using Grade 5 bolts, but I'm neurotic and overkill everything. :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts