Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think they are there right up to the LS motors.Originally they were for the motor mounts then they started using them for accessories.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I,ll say it this way. When did chevy start putting those holes by the fuel pump facing forward in there blocks. Not the early motor mount bolts. These are the bolt holes you use when you put a fuel pump in to hold the fuel pump rod in place during instalation.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Maybe we aren't talking about the same holes, four holes low on the front of the block on each side of the timing cover. The driver's side almost always has the power steering pump brackets, the passenger side the upper hole breaks into the fuel pump push rod bore. Been there since 1955 up through the 90's.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe we aren't talking about the same holes, four holes low on the front of the block on each side of the timing cover. The driver's side almost always has the power steering pump brackets, the passenger side the upper hole breaks into the fuel pump push rod bore. Been there since 1955 up through the 90's.
I have, I think a '68 327 block. No holes. Whats up with that?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

The very first Chevy V8 had them, they were the motor mount locations.

The original small blocks form the first years had no side mount or oil filter provision.

FYI

Later in years some of those holes were not tapped.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i would never want to replace a fuel pump on a block without those holes. it would be doable obviously, but an incredible pain in the arse.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'll bet if you pull up the block number it will be a later model block that was meant to have throttle body injection or tuned port. The boss was still there on those blocks for a fuel pump but from my experience I didn't see the holes drilled up front on them. (dealt with just a couple of blocks this way)
Look on the drivers side rear of the block and see what the casting number is.

Oh and that blue oval color is why there is grease everywhere on the block. She didn't like the color so she was trying to cover it up! :poke::devil:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I never even use the holes or a bolt. Done it enough times without any problems.
With all the fuel pumps I changed, especially in the 70's and 80's, as a mechanic, I never even knew those holes existed for that, much less used them.

It's not that difficult.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts