1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get others thought's on my issue

Background
To give a brief background I have a 72 that I auto cross nothing crazy with the motor, aluminum heads, cam, intake, 650 double pumper, headers, exhaust, Mallory distributor.

Invested into my cooling system with a aluminum radiator, aluminum high-flow water pump, EMP Stewart High Performance 180 Thermostat, and new fluid. I have an electric temp gauge attached to heads, and mechanical to the left of the thermostat.

Problem
Idling temp reads around 200-205. I can drive around the neighborhood and it seems to be around 210. Once I lay into it it goes up on the electrical(Autometer) to 230 mechanical reads 210. After a couple seconds they both start to creep up to 230+ before I shut things down.

Things I've tried

- I recently added the mechanical to see if it was a faulty electric gauge.
- High-flow water pump was one of the most recent mods.
- Coolant fluids are new
- Added custom fan shroud around electric fan

Things I'm questioning
Wondering if my timing is off or some sort of the ignition system is failing.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Invested into my cooling system with a aluminum radiator, aluminum high-flow water pump, EMP Stewart High Performance 180 Thermostat, and new fluid. I have an electric temp gauge attached to heads, and mechanical to the left of the thermostat.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
First off, did you have any cooling issues prior to changing things?

Secondly, did you get the "proper direction" water pump?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have cooling issues. I know the next question is why fix something that wasn't wrong. Well thought a aluminum water pump for the price would be worth it.

Proform High Flow Mechanical Aluminum Water Pumps 67265

Noted that it's a Clockwise rotation. Same as a stock replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts