Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am coming close to getting the car running again and the new disc brake kit on, new fenders and bolt kit, new dropped spindles and rear drop blocks and once I run it around some to make sure it's mechanically sound I am going to strip the car down, have it media blasted and then epoxy prime it with SPI Epoxy. Once I do this I would like to have it in the air with the underside completely stripped of all it's old undercoating and shot with SPI's bedliner. This bed liner is HEAVY duty and made differently and better than Ryno and Line X with UV protection. I want to shoot inside the fenders and under the body completely to seal out all moisture/water, easier to clean and keep clean and help with road noise. At first my plan was to make a big stand with two electric winches on each end from Northern Tools and raise it up (almost like you see done to boats to pull them out of the water with the 4 big posts and winches). Well after planning it with metal and winches, it is way too much money so instead I want to make a box frame out of 2X4's (very sturdy) and nice wheels to roll it around. I know that the 2x4's will be in the way in some places but would like to make it where I can still angle the spray gun to where I can get by them and have full coverage underneath to spray this bedliner. If anyone here has any info, tips, and especially pictures of your home made body dolly or lift that you built for cheap, please post it here. I am up for any kind of ideas. If I had the money I'd just buy a Rotisserie but I just don't have those funds. :(
Thanks a lot! :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used spray on bed liner to do the underside of my Dads car, for the same reasons you stated. I believe it will have a big impact on cutting down the road noise, and should be resistant to rock chipping, but Im just not sure I like the look of it. We used SEM brand, the tintable version, and tinted it body color. The car is bagged and lays frame,so it will be hard to see the finnish when standing still, but I guess we will see once I get it painted and off the rotisserie. A great product, tough as a s.o.b.We used 2 kits, which was about 2.5 gallons to get a good coverage,and also sprayed the inside of the trunk,and at 250$ per kit, not to cheap. I dont know what your SPI brand cost, hopefully it is cheaper. We used the Shutz gun to apply it, boy what a spay pattern that thing shoots out:eek:
Check out left coast Carls low budget rotisserie-possiblly the best new idea I have seen in a long time. Simple, low cost, and just plain cool. But I would not advise making them out of 2 x 4's though.:D
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127034

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Body stands

There's a post in here somewhere that a guy has his car up on wood, I just can't find it right now.
Do a search on "rotisserie", lots of homemade stuff.
I personally would be leary of a wooden rotisserie, I think to make it safe it would have to be massive.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen them made with engine stands and have seen a handful of them made from wood. If built correctly and braced right I believe it is fine with wood. I like the design on the link posted above and I may look into building something like that. I have a few ideas in my head but just want to get some more before jumping to one. It doesn't necessarily have to tilt the body on it's side like a rotisserie, as long as I can get under it and spray what I have to, but tilting would be much easier and I don't have to chance laying under it and having crap and paint fall in my face. :D
Thanks for the info so far guys!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
get it up

How about some truck size car stands. You could use a truck high lift jack put truck jack stands under the front and rear suspension on one side and do half the floor at a time. You should be able to lift the car on one side a couple feet high with the correct stands. A second idea would be to get some rail road ties, stack them two high with some real long screws to hold them together and support them with a couple 2x4 cross braces and drive onto the ties with some ramps.

The liner idea is good. I am building a resto mod 63 ss and I also plan on sealing the bottom of my car with the liner product. It will waterproof the underside of the car, supress noise , heat and vibration, and I will not have a fit when it starts raining. I also plan of spaying under the dash, the interrior firewall, and inside the trunk floor area, as well as, the backside of the quarter panels and inner and outer wheel wells. Ido have a couple of advantages though, I have a rottisery and I work in a bodyshop and get a great deal on the product. We spray the liner on beds and my customers love it and we have not had any comebacks.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Made a rotisserie first. Used hand cranked "winches" on each upright. Had like 30 bucks in them (Harbor freight)
[/URL][/IMG]

Now it's on a rolling body cart I made. Cart would be cheaper to make. Just make it high enough to easily access underneath. Rotisserie is definitely the easier way to work on it hands down, But cart will work keeping cost in check. It has mounts in three spots..Rear shackles, front leaf spring eye mount, and end of front frame rails where the subframe connectors mount
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also remember a post where a guy used wood. Thing was STOUT. Cant remember who it was. And SPI has a great line of products. A lil less known from the big names but they mix up some really good stuff. And the cost is very reasonable. JR

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Spray In Bedliners.htm

Oh Shawn, dont forget to read through the forum at SPI. Here is the one for the bed liner, tons of info. Great bunch of folks on the forum.
http://spi.forumup.org/forum-21-spi.html
JRouche, I am a moderator on their Forums. SPI primer, clears, reducer and bed liner is all I use for paint and body work. I worked at a hot rod shop right out of high school for a few years and still working on old cars and painting on the side for other people even though right now I am starting a mobile detailing company.
As for the other info here, I still need to read over the links and specs. I think I like this last idea one from what I saw on the pics but will put my 2 cents worth on it here in a bit once I read it.
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I like the idea of all of them. Any more info on that engine stand rotisserie and price you paid to make it? I don't mind spending about $150 more to make a rotisserie if I can. All I plan to do is put the car on it's side to bed line the underside and a few other small things and then other than that I will leave it in the air to work on the firewall and such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts