Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a `67 2 dr. sedan stripped down completely and it has some rust in the floors . Anyone have a guesstimate what a shop should charge to remove the old and install the complete floor pan in the stripped body ? just to put it back in primer ? I have the pan from Classic which cost about 3K ... Thanks NovamoBill

·
Registered
145 Posts
Depends on location, what part of the country are you in?, quality of work etc. We do it by the hour. But once I see the vehicle I can give a good ballpark price
I like to purchase the parts so I know exactly what I am getting.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Like Jcapps said, it even depends on where you are in WV. Finding a shop that's willing to work on old cars at all can be a challenge unless they do it on a regular basis, and then the price usually goes up per hour because they are doing "special interest" cars & trucks. I would expect a rate per hour in the $45-75 range depending on the equipment the shop has. Fancy equipment and latest stuff doesn't always mean high cost, they can make it up in beating the flat rate. Your job should be a straight by the hour job, and based on what I've seen here and doing my own panels, an experienced tech should be able to do the job in 8-16 hours. That's just a guess from a rank amateur, and the body guys may puke all over it, but you have already done the prep work.
Post some pictures of what you have, and that usually helps with the responses.
You may find you can buy a small wire feed machine and an argon bottle and do it yourself. Then you have a welder to keep playing with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you talking a complete floor, the one piece trunk, floor and rockers? Just asking because you said 3K:eek:! Always wondered how they'd get that giant piece in there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Body Shop Question

Yes, to installing the complete floor pan including trunk & rockers ( I have this new and it was around $3K) , on a completely stripped body that still has the rusty floor in it .I have always used the rule of thumb idea that if parts were 3K then labor was around 3K however, I know there are Many exceptions to this rule . but this car looked great on the outside and has new rear quarters installed. I have had so many quotes that run from 3K to 20k I am dizzy . I am in central WV. but could take the car to any location within say 800 miles, so location is not too much of a problem . I think the labor rate at most shops are in the $60-75 per hour range , So I guess what I need to know is how many hours should it take to cut out the old pan & weld in the new one ?..Thanks Novamobill

·
Registered
22 Posts
To ballpark answer your question, the cutting out of the floor should not take an experienced body guy too too long, removing the remaining floor from the frames is the longest part. Since it comes with rockers, they'd have to drill out the spot welds where the body meets the rockers. Installing a new one could be a trick, I'm assuming they'd put it in through the trunk forward, but if all lines up, probably a 10-12 hour job.

·
5,134 Posts
Depends on location, what part of the country are you in?, quality of work etc. We do it by the hour. But once I see the vehicle I can give a good ballpark price
I like to purchase the parts so I know exactly what I am getting.

yep[, the car needs to be seen first, too many variables to even guess.
Buying the parts first is the same as buying a steak at the butcher and expecting a supper club to cook it and set a table for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts