Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what to do with this seam between the rear panel and qtr panel? Is there a sealer that you use or is this just a weld that needs to be sanded and painted?

Also it looks like some kind of sealer underneath the corner where the bumper filler screws on. Should I re-seal it when I put back together?

I am not sure how water accumualated behind this corner to rust it out like that. As near as I can tell the body sealer inside seperated and allowed moisture to accumulate between the sealer & body. I'm not sure how moisture would get to that area. The trunk seal was pretty raggedy before I fixed it early on in the build. Maybe the tail light gaskets have been leaking. If so they will be re-sealed when I put it back together.Any thouhghts as to how this could have happened?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I spoke too soon about that being the only rust hole. Here is the other side!:rolleyes:

Futhermore the pink stuff under the other corner was also under this corner and appears to be Bondo. I got the tail lights wet today and it seems that water has been seeping in through the tail light gaskets...I think that's what has caused this. I was planning on re-sealing them anyway--Now I see why it's so important!

·
6,384 Posts
You are going to find spots like between the taillight panel and the quarter panel as well as those spots under the corners that have rot that are covered from the factory with a seam sealer. If you ever take off the front fenders you will see some more globs of sealer on the cowl side panels. Some of the factory sealers I dug out on my 74 were different colors but who knows if someone might have applied body filler to yours at some point.

Since most of the rot I'm seeing looks to be coming from the backside, make sure you cut out enough of the metal to get back into solid unrusted material. Once you get all of the metal work done, seal up the backside of those area's after cleaning them real well.

3M makes automotive seam sealers and I would ask the store you get them from what the best type would be to use and what prep works needs to be done so it's lasts a long time.

Jim

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim for your good advice. I think I will try to use a little dremel cutter to cut back to solid metal and then use fiberglass resin to patch the holes. Cleaning inside the trunk area is a little tight but I should be able to get it pretty clean. I'm also using a rust killer on anything that is rusty.

·
6,384 Posts
Ideally you need to weld in new steel. Some have probably had good luck bonding fiberglass to metal but to me that's not the ideal way to do it. Sometimes you have to do what you can but I would think if you make some clean straight cuts and fab pieces of metal to go in there it wouldn't take that much to weld it together.

Jim

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 40 years ago I had some rust issues on my first car...a 64 Nova 100 2 dr post. I brazed metal in several rust holes... Later after it was painted I had bubbles around the edges where I put in the metal. Probably not the best brazing job in the world. I have a friend who is a welder. Maybe he can weld in some pieces. Perhaps the welds would seal better than my brazing. Also I can seal these patches from behind but on my Nova I couldn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts