Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am an electrical r-tard.
wiring up my high speed taurus fan. Got the relay, but not familiar with reading symbols on relay that identify whch pin/post is which.

Any elec gurus here help me?

which pin/post is which - 86-85-87-30

·
6,502 Posts
I've got a poor monitor trying to see your pictures but I would tend to think the large terminals with the flat headed screws with washers are terminals 30 and 87. The ones I can't see I would think would be terminals 85 and 86.

Terminal 30 would go to a fused power source and 87 being the output to things like a fan or electric fuel pump.
Terminal 85 would go to a fused 12 volt power source and then to activate the relay to close contacts 30 and 87 to each other you would ground terminal 86. You can also activate the coil with a switched power source and a constant ground.

You could also do a test between the terminals. One combination would show a slight resistance (maybe 0.2 ohms or so) between two terminals. This would be the activation coil (terminals 85 and 86). There would be an infinite resistance or an open connection between terminal 30 and 87, terminal 30 and 85, terminal 30 and 86.

It looks like on the relay you have it does not have an 87a terminal.

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
terminal labels

If you look very closely at the base of the terminals the numbers are molded in to the plastic housing of the relay. The #'s are black just like the housing so they are kinda hard to see, but they are there.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
To add to Jims comment. Connect terminal 86 to your temp sensor or other device that turns the fan on. It should be a grounding source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts