Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Another week in my Covid-19 prevention routine. A couple more days of work and it will be ready to flip 180 degrees to finish up on the cleaning. When I sold the car decades ago, I was told that the new owner immediately cut out the rear quarter panels for bigger wheels and tires and added fender flares. When I inspected the car before buying it back after forty years, I knew that the quarter panels and outer wheel wells would have to be replaced. While cleaning the driver's side quarter wheel wells, I found the following butcher job. It is the worst I've personally seen. The PO cut the quarter panel opening with hand snips and at some point he tried to put it back to its original form - no welding or glue, just Bondo to hold all back together. I think Bondo and paint on the outside is all that is holding it together. I'm glad that I found a pair of NOS GM quarter panels. Some people should not be allowed to have tools. By the way, I have removed everything that the previous owner did to the car except one. I'm keeping the 12-bolt 3:73 GM gears and posi. Everything else is going in the trash or being sold.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm still in deep foo foo scraping the undercarriage, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. If this is not the most tedious job that I've ever done, it's the second most tedious! Meanwhile, I received my restored emergency brake setup, courtesy of Mr. Tom Migut, and it looks great! Much better that the picture. He's also restoring the console.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Man, that is going to be a really nova when it's done. Lots of work, but well worth every minute of it. That's an awesome story about finding that car. I sold my butternut yellow 67 in 1980 and tried to buy it back from him, but he's too smart for that move, and I don't blame him. I finally found another one identical to it and restored it. Did you get those NOS quarters from Larry out in Sachse? I hope to see yours in person some day.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Man, that is going to be a really nova when it's done. Lots of work, but well worth every minute of it. That's an awesome story about finding that car. I sold my butternut yellow 67 in 1980 and tried to buy it back from him, but he's too smart for that move, and I don't blame him. I finally found another one identical to it and restored it. Did you get those NOS quarters from Larry out in Sachse? I hope to see yours in person some day.
My best friend since I was twelve years old drove up to my house in a Butternut yellow 67 Nova SS when we were both eighteen years old. It had the optional factory headrests. After I drove his car, I had to have a Nova SS. After a couple of months of hard looking, I found my 66 at a used car lot. I've been buying all of the NOS parts that I can lay my $$$ on. The quarters came from NJ. There are three items that I'm currently looking for. The first item is a NOS windshield rubber for a 62-67 hardtop. I'd take a good used one, though. I also need the two brackets that hold the jack mast in the trunk. The PO cut out large openings in the package tray for speakers and I want to fix that. One side can be patched with sheet metal, but the other side has a rib. Rather than replacing the entire package tray, I'd like to find a used package tray or a patch piece - still looking. Is Larry a source for Chevy 11 parts?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
No additional pictures at this time. I'm still in the scraping and wiping down mode (two months now), but I will be finished with all of that this weekend. Next week I'm renting a hot water pressure washer and I'm cleaning the car inside and out. Hopefully that will remove the little bit of leftover yuck from the cracks and crevices. Pictures will follow when that job is complete. Then it goes to the body shop where the real stuff happens!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
On the morning that I was to pick up a hot water pressure washer from the rental company, my garage door decided to take a dump - the belt broke after 15 years of service. I purchased a new belt from my local garage door company ($90) and had it repaired in about an hour. Then off to the rental company. I spent the rest of the day in a virtual sauna rain forest cleaning the car body inside and out. Now I thought it was pretty clean after two months of scraping and wiping but after everything was dried out, I managed to sweep up a tub of dirt, paint, and undercoating particles. The ol' girl is clean now. I'm done! And now she's off to the body shop where all of the good stuff happens. I'm so ready!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on finishing the work on the underside.... a lot of perseverance to get it cleaned up that nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I made this last year to make removing and installing any rear end easier. There's no balancing act or chance it falls off of the jack. It's a one-man operation. This is the second version, which is more simple to use. I'm done with the cleaning and now it's once again a roller and ready for the body man.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
The ugly duckling is finally in the nude and her knockers are now exposed! The only bolts left are a few fender bolts, front clip bolts, and the rear suspension. Saturday morning she goes to see Mother Goose for some extensive beauty treatment, which is expected to take 9-12 months. I've done everything that I wanted to do in preparation for this "next step" of the rebuild.

It's Saturday morning and the car was loaded and taken to my bodyman, Ron. It was pretty hot and muggy, even at 9 a.m. Ron is standing in front of my car. He has said that he is anal about his work. I wonder which one of us is more anal. LOL. Now things get interesting! I can't wait to see the car without the cruddy paint. Thanks to my friend, Tom M., I have lots of NOS and restored parts going back on the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It's Saturday morning and the car was loaded and taken to my bodyman, Ron. It was pretty hot and muggy, even at 9 a.m. Ron is standing in front of my car. He has said that he is anal about his work. I wonder which one of us is more anal. LOL. Now things get interesting! I can't wait to see the car without the cruddy paint. Thanks to my friend, Tom M., I have lots of NOS and restored parts going back on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats! I enjoy following your build... now you’re in the long paint and body stage, which seems like it takes an eternity. My ‘63 finally got painted a couple of weeks ago, interior painted yesterday, sound deadener being sprayed today and firewall painted today. Suspension going back in next week... been a long time coming! Hope paint and body goes well for you, and keep the updates coming!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Congrats! I enjoy following your build... now you’re in the long paint and body stage, which seems like it takes an eternity. My ‘63 finally got painted a couple of weeks ago, interior painted yesterday, sound deadener being sprayed today and firewall painted today. Suspension going back in next week... been a long time coming! Hope paint and body goes well for you, and keep the updates coming!

Thank you. I'm posting my build for you and others to enjoy. My body man estimates 9-12 months. It may be longer because I'm quite picky. He knows what he has gotten into because I have been quite blunt in detailing exactly what I want. And it helps that he is just as anal as I am. You are way ahead with your build. How long have you been working on your 63?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. I'm posting my build for you and others to enjoy. My body man estimates 9-12 months. It may be longer because I'm quite picky. He knows what he has gotten into because I have been quite blunt in detailing exactly what I want. And it helps that he is just as anal as I am. You are way ahead with your build. How long have you been working on your 63?
Just over two years now... bought it unexpectedly as a partially complete project car. I found a great builder to work with me on it, but he was quite backed up so I knew it was going to take probably a year or more before he could really focus on it. I was hoping to do more myself, but as we got into things I realized that with kids, work, kids activities, and everything else, I just don’t have the time to work on it myself as much as I’d like. So, I realized that if I want to actually get it complete so that I can enjoy driving it, the builder will end up doing more than originally anticipated. When I retire I hope to do another build where I can be more hands on as I really enjoy that aspect of it. I have a build thread on mine over on lateral-g site if you’re interested...

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
More progress on the 66. The NOS front fenders are being fitted. Every time that I mention what I want done, my body man has already seen it and has plans to address it. I have a good one working on my build! There's a crack in the floor's driveshaft tunnel and it runs all the way left to right over the hump. It's from body flex. There is no other tell tale signs of flex anywhere else on the body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just over two years now... bought it unexpectedly as a partially complete project car. I found a great builder to work with me on it, but he was quite backed up so I knew it was going to take probably a year or more before he could really focus on it. I was hoping to do more myself, but as we got into things I realized that with kids, work, kids activities, and everything else, I just don’t have the time to work on it myself as much as I’d like. So, I realized that if I want to actually get it complete so that I can enjoy driving it, the builder will end up doing more than originally anticipated. When I retire I hope to do another build where I can be more hands on as I really enjoy that aspect of it. I have a build thread on mine over on lateral-g site if you’re interested...

Very nice build that you have going on there! You are doing a very good job.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts