Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Lemonwood yellow 66 Chevy 11 Super Sport soon after graduating high school. It was a stock SS with 22,000 miles, black interior and Saginaw 4-speed. It was the prettiest car that I ever saw. It wasn't long before I had mag wheels and dual exhaust on it. I drove it many years before I did the dumbest thing.....I sold it. I wondered just about every day what happened to my old yellow Chevy 11. Late one night I was looking through Craigslist and a Nova add caught my eye. The car looked nothing like my old Chevy 11, but as I looked at the details closer, I just about jumped out of my skin.....it was my old car. When I told my wife that I found my old car, she told me to go buy it no matter the cost! LOL, I have a great wife. Upon learning the owner's information, I saw that it was the same family name that purchased the car from me forty years prior. The man that I had sold it to passed away several years earlier and his widow decided to sell the car. She recognized my name and for the next several months we negotiated a sales price. How did I recognize my car if it had changed so much? It had two distinct things that I had done to it soon after I got it that made it a little unique. First, I painted the grille insert flat black and removed the Chevy 11 emblem. And I painted the lower side body trim insert flat black. The car was less than three years old when I bought it, so I'm pretty sure that I was probably the first to do those two things. And, it still had the Grant steering wheel that I had installed. The pictures on Craigslist showed it painted a darker yellow with flames on the front end and forty years of wear and tear. It needed a total restoration. For the past several months I have been tearing the car apart and now it's in shell form ready to go onto the rotisserie. My PLANS: I have NOS front fenders and rear quarter panels along with several pieces of molding. I'll be going with Church Boys front suspension, tilt wheel, manual rack and pinion, and front disk brakes, and much needed air conditioning. I live in Texas - enough said. Everything that the previous owner did will be undone. I'm building it the way that I want. I hope that you all enjoy the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What a great story!!! Glad to see you reunited with your original Chevy II.
Looks like the car was in pretty decent shape when you got it back. Please keep us posted on your progress.

P.S... Thanks for posting all of the picks (both old and new) (y)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
All right-tee then, Really nice 66 / SS you have (again) . . . . . and, a great find too get u'r car back.
By-all means . keep us posted about u'r up-grades - rebuild . And, just Where ? in Texas are you located . . . . ?
Our Nova was very original when I bought the car . . . . . and, has been a very fun car too own for all these 24 years - - - - so, stay with it , and have some fun .
Plus, you can go & check out member ' jd128 ' and his very nice build of his great Nova ( he' in Wichita Falls ) .
Have Fun & stick around , later . . . . . from Chino Valley, Az . . . . . jim

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased my Lemonwood yellow 66 Chevy 11 Super Sport soon after graduating high school. It was a stock SS with 22,000 miles, black interior and Saginaw 4-speed. It was the prettiest car that I ever saw. It wasn't long before I had mag wheels and dual exhaust on it. I drove it many years before I did the dumbest thing.....I sold it. I wondered just about every day what happened to my old yellow Chevy 11. Late one night I was looking through Craigslist and a Nova add caught my eye. The car looked nothing like my old Chevy 11, but as I looked at the details closer, I just about jumped out of my skin.....it was my old car. When I told my wife that I found my old car, she told me to go buy it no matter the cost! LOL, I have a great wife. Upon learning the owner's information, I saw that it was the same family name that purchased the car from me forty years prior. The man that I had sold it to passed away several years earlier and his widow decided to sell the car. She recognized my name and for the next several months we negotiated a sales price. How did I recognize my car if it had changed so much? It had two distinct things that I had done to it soon after I got it that made it a little unique. First, I painted the grille insert flat black and removed the Chevy 11 emblem. And I painted the lower side body trim insert flat black. The car was less than three years old when I bought it, so I'm pretty sure that I was probably the first to do those two things. And, it still had the Grant steering wheel that I had installed. The pictures on Craigslist showed it painted a darker yellow with flames on the front end and forty years of wear and tear. It needed a total restoration. For the past several months I have been tearing the car apart and now it's in shell form ready to go onto the rotisserie. My PLANS: I have NOS front fenders and rear quarter panels along with several pieces of molding. I'll be going with Church Boys front suspension, tilt wheel, manual rack and pinion, and front disk brakes, and much needed air conditioning. I live in Texas - enough said. Everything that the previous owner did will be undone. I'm building it the way that I want. I hope that you all enjoy the build.
All right-tee then, Really nice 66 / SS you have (again) . . . . . and, a great find too get u'r car back.
By-all means . keep us posted about u'r up-grades - rebuild . And, just Where ? in Texas are you located . . . . ?
Our Nova was very original when I bought the car . . . . . and, has been a very fun car too own for all these 24 years - - - - so, stay with it , and have some fun .
Plus, you can go & check out member ' jd128 ' and his very nice build of his great Nova ( he' in Wichita Falls ) .
Have Fun & stick around , later . . . . . from Chino Valley, Az . . . . . jim
I'm in the north Texas area. I followed jd128's build and I have to say it is the best posted build from start to finish that I have seen, in my opinion. My car is in pretty good shape. The PO did a lot of things that I would never have done. It's the first time that I ever saw plumbers putty used to hold the rear glass in. Of course putty does not compact well, so silicone was used to hold the stainless trim to the glass. Go figure. My current nightmare is removing all of the spray undercoating from the firewall, front clip, under the rear seat area and interior rear side panels, and the entire trunk area. When I was 18, I undercoated the car with roofing tar - by hand. Laugh if you want, but the underneath is pristine under the tar and it comes off easily with a putty knife. The PO also flared the rear quarter panels in order to install wider wheels and then he did a reverse repair which is not very good. The outer wheel wells are messed up and will need replacing. Thus, the reason I purchased NOS quarters as soon as I located a pair. He took a hacksaw to the inner lip of the front fenders in order to lessen wheel rub with those skinny Weld wheels and tires. The left fender lip can be repaired, but the right fender had been bumped by the bumper and there is some homemade repairs done. Both front fenders can be repaired, but since I have NOS fenders I'm going to use them instead. Rust is minimal and mostly located in the lower corner areas of the windshield and rear glass. Not even close to having rust through in those areas. The tail panel has a rust through spot under the left rear taillight - not sure how I will address that. The trunk divider consisted of three pieces of roofing tar paper with silicone holding them together. I had to laugh when I found that. one.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Still tearing it down. Pulled the 383 stroker out and will not reuse. Notice the red silicone used to hold the roof/window weatherstrip on. You can see the difference in the current paint color and the original Lemonwood yellow in pictures 427 and 429.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the tear-down continues....the front clip is in really nice shape with only a hammer ding in the left side where the PO used a hammer to dent where the alternator extends out. My guess is that he didn't have the correct length alternator belt. An easy fix for me as I intend to reuse the front clip.It will be spotless. Last week, I moved the Chevy 11 from my buddy's building to my house so that I can put it on my rotisserie and start scraping crud from the body. The area where the rear bumper mounts is "primed" with undercoating and was painted over. Hmmm. I sent the top of my console to Tom Migut to have it restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
what a cool story, i'd sure like to find my first 66 i sold back in 72. i bet you never saved those original wheels an hub caps, sure be cool to have them.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Cool story and the 66 looks to still be in pretty decent shape. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
menova . . . . . . me, again - - - - - Where in Texas . . . . . Thank You .

Ok - - - I was born in Dallas (way , long ago) . . . I grew up in Garland ( 50's , 60's , 70's , and moved to AZ in Aug. 80). My Mom , 1 younger sister , and my oldest brother all ended up living in - - - - - wait - for - it - - - - - " Copeville " . When I left in 80 - I was working in Richardson , and both of my Bosses lived in " Farmersville " . Also, another older sister lived in " Wide Awake Wylie" , for like 30 years. So, I kinda know the area . . . . . well, use too know. We were back around there about a year age ( Feb 2019) ( for about a week)
- - - - - - - - Man ! ! What happened too ' Sachse ' or ' Rowlett ' . . . . . . like BIG City, now .
There are a lot of SNS Members around u'r area (and, with the old 'site' - you could tell where anybody lived . . . . now, I just have too ask (see my meaning).

Your moving right along , good reading , and I'm looking in . . . . . . . . thanks for all th' pictures . . . . . jim

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome car and equally awesome story! There appears to be a 68 or 69 SS in the driveway in the 3rd pic...yours also?
Yes, a 69 SS 350, 4-speed, black buckets, console, 12-bolt posi. Of course I don't have it anymore, but wish I did. And I owned the 74 Monte Carlo also in the picture. It was a 454 POS. My neighbor wanted it and I sold it to him.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firewall undercoating before and after. The PO sprayed this stuff on thick! Had to use the propane torch to soften it up. I'm going to make a rice paper template of the Y-Y Yellow so that I can put it back as it came from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
fantastic story! glad you got reunited--and totally love the look/stance of it back in the day. those are some large meats on the back! how did it not rub? looks awesome.

had no idea '66 came with the sound proofing sheets on the floor bottom (pics .11-.12). what year did they start doing that, i wonder?

again, great story!

-Rusty

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great story, keep us posted on your progress. I am also going with Church Brothers frt. steering & suspension in my 63 SS Nova, manual rack & coil overs. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Love the story. How many guys have dreamed of finding their old car and actually getting it back? A '66 SS with 4-speed can be that kind of car. Very cool that you are doing the restoration and bringing it back. Keep up the thread.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts