Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done with my two speed electric fan wiring. For those of you not familiar with the setup I am using the huge Volvo fan relay and wanted to use the BMW temp sensor that is a somewhat common setup. Attached is a schematic of the way I have it wired minus the temp sensor. The factory connector unfortunately is discontinued and I cannot find it anywhere. Also the OEM sensor is like $90 and aftermarket ones seem to be of poor quality. I have had zero luck finding one of these in a junkyard. This is one of the last things I need to do to a car I am working on. I really want to stick with what I have so far and would like to find an alternative to the BMW sensor. Thanks in advance!

Product Font Schematic Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
30 Posts
VW also had a 2 speed switch. I believe it was in most of the 99-04 1.8t engines maybe the 2.0 also and I believe the 1.9 tdi the only issue is its an odd thread I believe. They also have 2 different temps available. I want to say 170-190 and a 185-200. Not positive on those temps.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am almost done with my two speed electric fan wiring. For those of you not familiar with the setup I am using the huge Volvo fan relay and wanted to use the BMW temp sensor that is a somewhat common setup. Attached is a schematic of the way I have it wired minus the temp sensor. The factory connector unfortunately is discontinued and I cannot find it anywhere. Also the OEM sensor is like $90 and aftermarket ones seem to be of poor quality. I have had zero luck finding one of these in a junkyard. This is one of the last things I need to do to a car I am working on. I really want to stick with what I have so far and would like to find an alternative to the BMW sensor. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 430033
I have a question regarding the wiring diagram and relays, just for my education, on this setup. What is to stop the fans from running when the temp switch is closed, or up to temp, and you shut off the car and go to restart it? Are any of the relays time delay to avoid fans starting when starter is engaged sine they are all switched hot? Will the fans be running at same time as starter?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the switched hot wire on the Bosch style relay wired to "ign on". Any time the key is on the run position the fan could be on. Where I have mine wired it actually turns off as the ign switch is in the cranking position and then turns back on in the run position. This way you do not have the huge current draw from the fan when trying to start

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have the switched hot wire on the Bosch style relay wired to "ign on". Any time the key is on the run position the fan could be on. Where I have mine wired it actually turns off as the ign switch is in the cranking position and then turns back on in the run position. This way you do not have the huge current draw from the fan when trying to start
Thank you very much, I understand now.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have you installed it yet? And if so, how does it work?
Yes I did and It works great. I already had the 91 / 99* C (180/195*F) and just changed to this one for the lower cut on 80 / 88 Celsius which is 176* / 190* F. I wanted to connect my VA switch to trigger th fans when turned on. Plus I have a 180 thermostat and the higher temp one wouldn't come on unless I was still in traffic.

Part number 6131831787

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Yes I did and It works great. I already had the 91 / 99* C (180/195*F) and just changed to this one for the lower cut on 80 / 88 Celsius which is 176* / 190* F. I wanted to connect my VA switch to trigger th fans when turned on. Plus I have a 180 thermostat and the higher temp one wouldn't come on unless I was still in traffic.

Part number 6131831787
Awesome! I'm going to be running a two-fan controller from my computer but I'll need one for my intercooler fan too so that's perfect! Really inexpensive too! Just pop in a relay, wire it up and off I'll go!

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Yes I did and It works great. I already had the 91 / 99* C (180/195*F) and just changed to this one for the lower cut on 80 / 88 Celsius which is 176* / 190* F. I wanted to connect my VA switch to trigger the fans when turned on. Plus I have a 180 thermostat and the higher temp one wouldn't come on unless I was still in traffic.
Part number 6131831787
With a 180° thermostat and a 176° trigger for your fan, does the fan run continuously once it turns on?

·
Registered
540 Posts
With a 180° thermostat and a 176° trigger for your fan, does the fan run continuously once it turns on?
So far it hasn't, it cools off really fast once on dropping the temp well below 180. The real test will be once it gets hotter here in Texas. If it does I'll change back to the other one. It let the temp get higher than 180. Also the fan never cuts on the high speed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
To follow up since temps have gotten higher. I had to change back to the 180/195 sensor. 100+ degree days here in Texas and I see temps when moving under 180 and in traffic now or stopped climbs above 180 and fan kicks on. I am running a/c also. I will leave this one in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts