Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled these quotes from the OHC Pontiac thread and started this one.

I've been looking at the possibility of putting a BMW M30 straight six in my wagon. 3.5L, OHC, very reliable, fuel injection is readily available if you don't like the twin Webers or 4-bbl carbs. Dual exhaust manifolds are standard, 6300 rpm redline from the factory, 5-speed trannys are readily available and cheap, etc...
I like the idea any of the alternative 6 cylinders, but maybe the BMW more. What does the power plant weigh? If equal or better power numbers can be had with less weight, that's certainly going to help one of these cars. If 200 lbs can be dropped and 200 horses had, that really changes the Chevy II experience over a 194 or 230.
That would be interesting -- BMW --

Mike .... would you have a pic of said 3.5L .. ? Inline ?
and, what kind of 5 speed ? - (BMW) ... too many questions , but , cool idea

jim
Here's a couple of pictures of the M30 motor in my 72 BMW. It's a slanted motor, OHC, aluminum head, most commonly found fuel injected, millions of them were produced, very well made motors.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 22" wide from the outermost point of the air cleaners to the outermost point on the exhaust manifolds. A small block is wider than that.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Why not? Especially if you have experience with the engines, know parts sources and it can be kept a viable running engine, it sounds like a good swap. What are the plans for bellhousing/transmission? Can't be longer than the SOHC Pontiac 6 that a member is successfully installing in a Nova. Might be easiest to stay BMW until the front of the driveshaft, but I wonder where the stick shift would come through (assuming manual trans). You'd also get 5 speeds, I assume.

A little checking online has the engine fully dressed at about 530 lbs., and that has to be close to the stock motor. But there is no 6300 redline with the GM engine, and the 3.5 has to have 50 horses on the GM motor all things stock. It'd be interesting to see the swap, so keep us posted if you go ahead.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have several 5-speed transmissions for these engines as they are very common. Earlier versions have a cable drive for the speedo, but later versions use an electric speedo and a pulse generator in the rear axle. The stock driveshaft is a 2-piece unit with a giubo attaching the front half to the transmission. I'm debating on a rear axle setup as well. I have a couple of 9" rears that will fit as well as a stocker. May well use a 3:36 or something close.

They are very smooth running engines, and I've hammered on mine for years with no failures. They're cheap and mostly well maintained, so a clean used one is not too hard to find. Here in NoCal Pick and Pull gets $160 for a long block, and I already have all the accessories, so it's a real cheap installation.

When I get my Nova running I can guarantee I'll be the only guy at the meet with a BMW motor.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have several 5-speed transmissions for these engines as they are very common. Earlier versions have a cable drive for the speedo, but later versions use an electric speedo and a pulse generator in the rear axle. The stock driveshaft is a 2-piece unit with a giubo attaching the front half to the transmission. I'm debating on a rear axle setup as well. I have a couple of 9" rears that will fit as well as a stocker. May well use a 3:36 or something close.

They are very smooth running engines, and I've hammered on mine for years with no failures. They're cheap and mostly well maintained, so a clean used one is not too hard to find. Here in NoCal Pick and Pull gets $160 for a long block, and I already have all the accessories, so it's a real cheap installation.

When I get my Nova running I can guarantee I'll be the only guy at the meet with a BMW motor.
Good thinking ......Mike

I'm looking ... & ... along-for-th'-ride

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Any plans for something like this in the future?

M30 Turbo Manifold w/ T4 Turbo Flange

Created: 09 October 2015

2yr warranty against manufacturer defects and cracking
Bolts & Gasket Included
Off Road Use Only - Not DOT approved
Fits M30/B34/B35/M106 engine (1968-1994)
Fits E9/E24E28/E30/E32/E34 chassis only
T4 turbo flange
Includes 44mm vband wastegate provision

http://www.rapidspoolindustries.com/51-products/323-m30-turbo-manifold-w-t4-turbo-flange

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any plans for something like this in the future?

M30 Turbo Manifold w/ T4 Turbo Flange

Created: 09 October 2015

2yr warranty against manufacturer defects and cracking
Bolts & Gasket Included
Off Road Use Only - Not DOT approved
Fits M30/B34/B35/M106 engine (1968-1994)
Fits E9/E24E28/E30/E32/E34 chassis only
T4 turbo flange
Includes 44mm vband wastegate provision

http://www.rapidspoolindustries.com/51-products/323-m30-turbo-manifold-w-t4-turbo-flange
That's a little outside my area of interest and expertise. I have a factory 4-bbl manifold that I'm adapting a Q-jet to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm definitely subscribing to this one,
I'd like lots of pictures along the way please!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts