Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have experience using these heads? Are they better than GM's Vortec heads?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I do not have any experience with these heads but I would think they would offer a little advantage over the vortec heads. These heads have a 195 cc runner. I don't know about the engine you are thinking about putting them on but on the right engine these heads should work good. For what they are the vortec heads are impressive. With the aluminum head you are getting bigger valves, more flow potential and screw in studs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have read up on these quite a bit. For the price, I think they are really good. There was another forum where a rep from BP discussed these heads. He admitted they don't compare to say RHS heads, but they do flow well. He said they are the heads they use on most of their crate engines. Look at their assembled engine lineup and you can get a good idea what you can expect.

This is the best example of a pretty standard 355 build. They call it 10:1 so i'm guessing flat tops and a decked block. Shows a 230 deg @ .050 w/ about .480 lift flat tappet cam. And a 600cfm edelbrock making 375hp/400lb-ft tq.

I will likely order these in a few years when I'm tired of my old 186 castings.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The 195cc head is a little large for a normal 350 ish small block. Most of the time unless you have more compression or cubic inches you would be better off in the 180-185 cc range for 350 engines.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Basically any aluminum head will be better in performance over a factory steel head. The factory heads were never designed for anything than daily drivers. Yes some steel heads are better than others. Like putting a 62 cc vortec where a tiny port 76cc steel head was will show great improvements. But now put a head with a giant runner and 50 lbs weight savings on the engine and hp goes up. Can you get to big on the runner and wind up seeing higher peak hp but not much gain in the low rpm driving range yes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts