Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wondering if anyone on here has a Blueprint Engines 427 or 454 sbc? I turned 50 on Saturday and my wife suggested replacing the 350 in my Nova with a crate engine as my present. I was checking out the 396/400 engines to keep the price down but she said to get the one I want, that’s either the 427 or the 454.

Just looking for opinions on those 2. Also, is there still someone from Blueprint here on the forums?
Thanks for any opinions/help.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi,

Wondering if anyone on here has a Blueprint Engines 427 or 454 sbc? I turned 50 on Saturday and my wife suggested replacing the 350 in my Nova with a crate engine as my present. I was checking out the 396/400 engines to keep the price down but she said to get the one I want, that’s either the 427 or the 454.

Just looking for opinions on those 2. Also, is there still someone from Blueprint here on the forums?
Thanks for any opinions/help.
I don’t have a blueprint, but built a 421sbc for my car. Great engine. Makes ridiculous torque and great HP. It’s 3.875” stroke. I personally don’t like to run much more stroke than that in a sbc. 4.00” is the max i would run. It’s a lot of arm swinging around in a sbc. Hard to fit the proper oil pan needed for that stroke in a stock front end car. Just my .02 cents. It all depends on what you intend to do with the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went from a built 428CJ 69 Mach1 to my Nova so I’m missing the power. The BP 454 sbc has a 4.00 stroke as well. They say it’ll fit right in my stock front end. I’ll give them another call tomorrow to double-check.
Did you build your 421?

I don’t have a blueprint, but built a 421sbc for my car. Great engine. Makes ridiculous torque and great HP. It’s 3.875” stroke. I personally don’t like to run much more stroke than that in a sbc. 4.00” is the max i would run. It’s a lot of arm swinging around in a sbc. Hard to fit the proper oil pan needed for that stroke in a stock front end car. Just my .02 cents. It all depends on what you intend to do with the car.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I did build my 421. Any sbc will fit your stock front end. I’m just saying the bigger stroke engines benefit from the proper oil pan to keep windage down and the oil away from the crank and rods. Stef’s makes some real nice oil pans for big stroke sbc’s. I run a kevko on my engine. You’d be amazed at what the proper oil pan can do for an engine with both hp numbers and longevity...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If it was me I would stick in the lower 400 inch range. 454 is great for bragging numbers at a car show but it takes a lot of cylinder head to efficiently make it run. If you think about a big block Chevy, a 427 or 454 with oval port heads had a 265 cc intake runner. Airflow is still airflow based on engine size.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,993 Posts
I went with a 500hp 383 Stroker from Skip White. That's about all the power I need.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally, I am not too impressed with Blueprint engines. I had a friend buy one only to find out when he tore it down that it wasn't exactly what Blueprint had advertised. I recommend buying an engine from Chevrolet Performance Parts as I know that their engines are fully developed including durability testing. All of their engines come with a 2 year 30,000mile warranty. I recommend that you contact Skog and Dickey Chevrolet in Texas since they offer the best deals.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Check out West Coast Engines! Brady (owner) is awesome. I picked up a 383 "Rumbler" with AFR heads. Should be around 540HP/499TQ. He did not dyno mine due to rebuilding dyno shop when I placed my order. He works with Gearstar for the tranny's so I had the 2 hook up to discuss my engine/tranny so everything matches up.
If I could only get my CBR rack delivered I would be putting the engine and tranny in right now.
Stay Safe,
Trevin

·
Registered
237 Posts
These hi-dollar, extreme size SB are racing engines. They will require a much higher level ($$$) of maintenance than a 383”, in exchange for a higher performance levels. An aluminum head, roller cam 383” will provide a very good ride in anything short of a race car. IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts