Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search but wanted recent opinions of the blueprint engines 383 400hp dressed engine for 4 grand. Complete with intake, carb (not in love with edelbrock carbs) fuel pump, dist, water pump, wires, plugs. Gotta say, it doesnt look bad for the money. I had a zz383 in mind for a long time but for the money im seriously considering this engine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
just be careful about crate engines. Alot of them are cookie cutter engines they all have the same parts like cheap chinese valves springs cranks rods etc...also read the fine print on their warranties. If for some reason the motor breaks you gotta pull it back out and ship it to them and hope they warranty it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Know a guy that ordered one of those from S*mmit (an aftermarket warehouse that shall not be named). Nothing but problems. Metal shavings on first oil change, ends up it came from the heads. Which means it went down the cylinders...(bad news). They are giving him hell about the warranty.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Know a guy that ordered one of those from S*mmit (an aftermarket warehouse that shall not be named). Nothing but problems. Metal shavings on first oil change, ends up it came from the heads. Which means it went down the cylinders...(bad news). They are giving him hell about the warranty.

Interesting, I read the warranty and it looks like for me it would cover parts only, no labor because I would install it myself instead of a 'qualified' shop.

Scat crank (cast), KB pistons and most other part brands listed but nothing about the cam?

Kinda feel weak buying a crate anyway but with my schedule and what I still have left to fabricate on this car a crates the only thing thats going to get me on the road this decade.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I would say buy a good shortblock, buy the heads you want, and put it together. might be more, but you'll make a lot more power and should live longer.

a good 383 can make 550hp with real good heads.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Buying a crate engine is not "weak" idea. Just don't purchase on price alone.
There's a reason why a $4000 383 is not as good a buy as a $6000 383.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check out competition products......I do believe they have a really good deal on a shortblock....that way you can use whatever topend you want..imo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts