Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Second time I changed it. It's the small fuse int he bottom left corner. I have been looking over all the wiring, can't see any issues. Will continue to scope it out. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm only running 4 AM gauges. Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Title says it all. Second time I changed it. It's the small fuse int he bottom left corner. I have been looking over all the wiring, can't see any issues. Will continue to scope it out. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm only running 4 AM gauges. Thanks
If I'm not mistaken, dome lights are "hot" or powered on the feed side and ground runs through one or more switches just complete the cirucut to ground.

The lower interior lights may be switch powered from the headlight switch and only have power running to them when the headlight switch is rotated all the way CW to turn them on; but they could be setup like the dome light and just use the switch to ground them to complete the circut to ground. A wiring schematic would be necessary to know for sure. It's been a lot of years since I was troubleshooting rotating shaft headlight switches, maybe someone else will be of more help on this.

When does the fuse blow? Does it blow when you open a door, or when you crank the headlight switch all the way to the left, CW, to turn on the interior lights?

If it's with the doors, I cannot see how the ground side can blow a fuse. If it only blows when the headlight switch is rotated CW, it could be something in the headlight switch shorting out.

There's not that many items that it can be, so you shouldn't have too much trouble tracking it down.

We'll see what others suggest as they have more hands on with the cars than I have in the past many years.

Good luck and share what the problem was...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happened twice. Both times was towards the evening, when I could notice lights were out. Come to think of it, each time I noticed it when I got back in my car. So perhaps when I left the car and closed the door something came loose. Been looking around and have not seen any foul play with the wiring as of yet. Will keep looking......

·
Registered
212 Posts
It happened twice. Both times was towards the evening, when I could notice lights were out. Come to think of it, each time I noticed it when I got back in my car. So perhaps when I left the car and closed the door something came loose. Been looking around and have not seen any foul play with the wiring as of yet. Will keep looking......
From a wiring standpoint, you would want to check the wiring "to" the lights as that is the only side with power on it. The wiring "from" the light to the switches if grounded or shorted, will only turn on the lights, not blow the fuse.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From a wiring standpoint, you would want to check the wiring "to" the lights as that is the only side with power on it. The wiring "from" the light to the switches if grounded or shorted, will only turn on the lights, not blow the fuse.

Good luck.

Will do.

Question on the courtesy lamps....I was hoping to tap into the dome light circuit somehow, so that when the doors are opened, the led courtesy lights will come on. From the looks of the wiring diagram, yes...the dome has white and orange wires which I believe are hot. So any idea how to add courtesy lights?

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Will do.

Question on the courtesy lamps....I was hoping to tap into the dome light circuit somehow, so that when the doors are opened, the led courtesy lights will come on. From the looks of the wiring diagram, yes...the dome has white and orange wires which I believe are hot. So any idea how to add courtesy lights?
Jay, your led courtest lights need power and ground to operate - just like any DC device. Constant power would be supplied by the orange dome light wire and ground comes from the white wire - applied only when door jam switches are activated by opening the doors. Just tap into that dome light circuit and you are in business:yes:

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts