Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to put a blower on a stock big block. what all do i need to change? what would be a good blower for the street?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
You need

1. Blower (Procharger D1SC, Vortech, Weiand, BDS, Blower Shop Roots 6-71 or 8-71 etc.)
2. Custom Cam or Supercharger Cam
4. Low compression forged Pistons 7.5:1 to 9:1
5. Good flowing heads with a decent valvetrain
6. Blower Calibrated Carb(s) or EFI set up
7. Good Ignition
8. High Flowing Fuel System Elect Fuel Pump etc
9. Boost Guage
10. Good cooling system

Procharger or roots 6-71 or 8-71 blower you are looking at around $4500 and up at least if you go the most cost effective route and purchase a used blower. Depending on how crazy you want to get cost will vary but make sure if you do it you do it right or you will cost yourself alot of money and time.

Also Roots are good for alot of low end to midrange hp and tq and centrifugal are more for mid to top end power. Alot of guys run both on here and have alot of good info

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/recommend.php

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have around a 5-6 grand budget. I was looking for a 3rd gen nova. But I cant seem to find one in my price range. so thats why im checking into a blower for the 4th gen nova.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If you look on yellow bullet or racing junk you could find a new d1sc pro charger for like $2800. Go to doug herbert and get a decent came for $200, decent forged pistons for $550ish, blow through demon carb for like $565, aeromotive fuel system for around $600ish, boost guage for $45.00 these are just off the top of my head. The best blown motors are built for a blower from the block up though

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
If you look on yellow bullet or racing junk you could find a new d1sc pro charger for like $2800. Go to doug herbert and get a decent came for $200, decent forged pistons for $550ish, blow through demon carb for like $565, aeromotive fuel system for around $600ish, boost guage for $45.00 these are just off the top of my head. The best blown motors are built for a blower from the block up though
What he said. Lot out there just need to do a little digging. As read up on everything you can on them. It is not like doing a stock motor.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Just be sure to think it all through and do your homework. My brother, since we were little, always wanted a huge blower sticking out the hood. Well now he has one....

Ran into a LOT of unknowns, especially with a vette (cooling issues, crank pulley issues required chassis alteration, vacuum issues, carb troubles (though the QF's fixed that right up, methane injection, etc, etc.). It's done now and runs great but was definitely a learning experience.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Im wanting to put a blower on a stock big block. what all do i need to change? what would be a good blower for the street?
For a limited boost application there's no need to worry about changing pistons unless your compression is too high. Your cam will probably suffice as well.
At higher boost levels there will be a whole 'nuther list of concerns (different pistons, wider ring gaps, different ring materials, double keyways on the crank, different cam timing, crank support, etc...)...
I'd suggest calling Craig @ BDS. They sell complete systems from mild-to-wild.:yes: Looks-to-cooks.:devil: However you want to say it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For a limited boost application there's no need to worry about changing pistons unless your compression is too high. Your cam will probably suffice as well.
At higher boost levels there will be a whole 'nuther list of concerns (different pistons, wider ring gaps, different ring materials, double keyways on the crank, different cam timing, crank support, etc...)...
I'd suggest calling Craig @ BDS. They sell complete systems from mild-to-wild.:yes: Looks-to-cooks.:devil: However you want to say it.
x2, i have called BDS many times and have gotten a lot of really good info for the build up my dad and i are doing for his 55 bel-air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can run a blower on a stock Big Block as long as your static compression in 9:1 or less and engine speed is limited to 6000rpm. You will have to run low boost of 4-5lbs... Anything higher and engine modifications will be a MUST or you will have detonation issues hence engine failure... You can expect to pick up approx 80-100 hp on a stock engine... If you decide to run more boost... you better put aside some dough! Forged pistons, steel crank, 4 bolt main caps, aggressive camshaft, steel dampener(double keyed with crank), good set of heads, upgraded ignition and fuel delivery. (Just to name a few things).

Blown 74 Stingray (see a few posts above.. im the little brother..lol)
700HP (Yeah.. its a small block too!)

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts