Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my 350 nova just blew out its transmission. Lots of smoke and ATF everywhere, and now theres no neutral or reverse, only drive. I figure it was a long shot, I bought the car off a guy who put the engine and trans in, and had an extra trans laying around so he's giving it to me. Should be interesting, my first ever transmission change in a RWD car, the only ones I've ever done are FWD cars heh, this 4th gen is just turning out to be more and more fun as time goes on.

A note, how long is the stock driveshaft? The transmission I have (that blew) had the long shank and a cut driveshaft... so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get a new driveshaft because I think the other transmission has a short shank. Anyone know?

·
Registered
436 Posts
My 76 had a 250 L6 with stock 7.5" rearend. I put a 350 with a long tail and I had to cut my stock driveshaft. Someone else did mine at the time and I'm not sure how much they cut out, but I did actually think it was a little short. It now has a 350sbc and I recently put an 8.5" rearend in it and the driveshaft still fits, although I don't have much play. I do know that the stock setup would have been a short tail tranny with either 7.5" or 8.5" rearend which would determine the length of the driveshaft. I have a couple driveshafts I can get some measurements from, one was original for 8.5" and the other 7.5". I'll get back to you with the measurements.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts