Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have my 71 Nova painted this winter and an trying to decide what type of blasting to have done . I know that soda is out . Now looking at glass , plastic or walnut . Anybody have any of these done?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Blasting

Be carefull, Blasting can warp the metal, Make shure the person doing it knows what there doing. We always chemical strip then clean up with a DA sander.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been told that it is hard to neutralize . A lot of paint mfg. advise against soda. I just don't want to take a chance with it .

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've had very good luck with chemically stripping the large panels with aircraft stripper. Stripping up to the edges and then finishing with a DA sander. Then all the rigid corners and edges like door frames I sand blast with my little 100 lb pressure blaster. Just be careful with the aircraft stripper it's nasty stuff.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm going to have my 71 Nova painted this winter and an trying to decide what type of blasting to have done . I know that soda is out . Now looking at glass , plastic or walnut . Anybody have any of these done?
Walnut or plastic media is the best. It won't harm or warp the metal. Soda (which I just did) is good. We used a high pressure steam cleaner to wash the soda from the pores of the body inside and out.

Our body guy recommends and sends all his classic cars to a plastic/walnut blaster. The media is reusable until it no longer strips the paint. It's also more environmentaly friendly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys . Found a guy to do the plastis for 800.00 I think thats the way I will go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts