Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
that is all the swiss cheese you found?
i pray if i ever blast my car i only find that amount.

thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
That looks pretty good. Is the bed replaceable or will you have to make that part?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That's not too bad at all, what are the plans for repairs?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
WOW is all I can say. It looks really good. The floor is minor stuff. Man, you have a pristine body there. And Im happy to see you went with the correct process. The best media strip method IMO, and a great epoxy to seal it all up. You obviously know what you are doing... Ill be watching this one. JR

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice!

I wish I had the resources to do that right now! Your definitely going the right route please keep us posted with pics.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plans are to repair the passenger floorboard and the areas behind the wheel wells with a repo patch panel. I might even change the wheel wells themself because the previous owner cut and rolled the lips. The trunk I am going to try to drill out all the spot welds and replace it with a new piece. I am pretty sure that it is not reproduced.

I went to Blastech in Auburn, Wa. I highly recommend them except they broke my rotissarie(doesn't spin anymore).

I bought the SPI primer from them directly and primed it in my neighbors garage.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
wagon

Hey Joel,
Looks pretty good...minor rust. As far as I know, no one reproduces the cargo floor area - mine had a few holes, so we just braised it up. How's the tailgate jamb area???

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really don't know what happen to it. When I arrived both hydraulic rams were maxed out and they wouldn't go down. They also broke a bolt off that retained the pivot point on one end so it allowed it to slide out a few inches. Took about an hour with a sledge hammer to get the car back down low enough to get in the trailer. It was just somehow in a bind and didn't want to do anything.

I will probably make a new cargo floor and roll some beads or ribs in it to stiffen it up and weld it in. The tailgate jamb area does also need some work. Its pretty eaten up. Not really sure what to do with it yet. I am going down to Biscay's to pick up a set of quarter skins so I can start this weekend.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Quarter skins?

I really don't know what happen to it. When I arrived both hydraulic rams were maxed out and they wouldn't go down. They also broke a bolt off that retained the pivot point on one end so it allowed it to slide out a few inches. Took about an hour with a sledge hammer to get the car back down low enough to get in the trailer. It was just somehow in a bind and didn't want to do anything.

I will probably make a new cargo floor and roll some beads or ribs in it to stiffen it up and weld it in. The tailgate jamb area does also need some work. Its pretty eaten up. Not really sure what to do with it yet. I am going down to Biscay's to pick up a set of quarter skins so I can start this weekend.[/QUOTE

I didn't know they made quarter skins for wagons? If you're looking at the hard top ones, that ain't gonna work. It's best to just fabricate something. Removing the spare tire well, sounds like a cool idea, but you could use that area for the battery or other stuff. I'm just going to narrow the top of mine and leave the area the stock size so that I can use it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I didn't know they made quarter skins for wagons? If you're looking at the hard top ones, that ain't gonna work. It's best to just fabricate something. Removing the spare tire well, sounds like a cool idea, but you could use that area for the battery or other stuff. I'm just going to narrow the top of mine and leave the area the stock size so that I can use it.
I thought the only difference was that the area behind the wheels was longer? I don't plan on using the whole thing, just the wheel wells and about 8 inches past the them.

I can still use it to store my battery. It would just be underneath.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After blasting with the walnut shells......did you D/A the car down with sandpaper to promote proper paint adhesion?

If not, you may want to do yourself a favor now and try the “tape test”

Stick a piece of masking tape on the car and see if it pulls off your primer….

Please let us know the results…..
tape was clean as a whistle. Thanks for the tip. I haven't heard of anyone doing that after blasting.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
After blasting with the walnut shells......did you D/A the car down with sandpaper to promote proper paint adhesion?

If not, you may want to do yourself a favor now and try the “tape test”

Stick a piece of masking tape on the car and see if it pulls off your primer….

Please let us know the results…..
Thats a great tip John, I wonder how many people have messed that one up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts