Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into what color I am going to paint the interior in my 62 chevy II. I was wondering what the origional black color is? Is it a glossing paint or more flat.Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
From what I have seen it's more of a semi gloss, probably a hard color to duplicate, I just did mine with the krylon fusion gloss black and it looks sharp, went on really nice, i guess i'll have to wait and see how it stands up, i've used that mar-hyde plastic and vinyl paint before and it seems to stick well to vinyl but not to the harder plastics, even with the primer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
also make sure the pieces you're painting are really clean, use dish detergent and water with a scrub brush, and let dry, i have learned from experience that harsh cleaning chemicals can produce, how they say "undesirable results"

·
Registered
681 Posts
I used SEM Landau Black. It looks great on the color ... however, the SEM gloss coat orange peeled like hell and the paint was not very durable.

So... I am going to sand it all off again.

On some of my other interior parts like the steering shaft tube, I used a standard can of black Ace Hardware Appliance Epoxy Paint. Would you believe it looked better than the 2 stage SEM products.

So now I am thinking of using the Appliance paint.

Anyone know how good any of the paints they used stand up to the sun? Not that my car will be sitting in the sun for any time, but I just want to check fading.

Thanks,

DW

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
It's not black, but I had mine painted with the rest of the body. Base/Clear.

Look at the contrast to the Fawn door panels, I like it much better having the body color on the interior steel vs. the panel colors.

If you are going with black interior panels, think of doing the interior metal with a contrasting color, it will bring out the "detail" of your work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about painting the interior the same color as the outside but I wondered how bad the glare would be off the glossy dash. I am going to paint the outside red which I thought would look good on the inside too with black panels. I also saw were paddock sells black interior paint for the nova but I can't see how it would be any better than the appliance paint.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Flattening agent on the interior panels would take care of the glare issue. I "think" that's what they did originally on the inside.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stock Interior Paint info

I couldn't find '62 interior info, here is the interior paint info for '63 [ should be the same basic info as '62]

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I have used just the basecoat and no clear on the interior and it looks like original and is very durable. A metallic base dries with a satin finish and a non metallic dries with a flat finish. That is with using PPG urethane basecoats

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will go with the interior the same as the outside. I have seen pictures were people paint the part that sticks out on the dash a different color than the rest. What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've recently used that ready to spray dupli color paint that comes in quart cans. You can buy it in just about any auto parts store. I used the black. Its a laquer paint and dries with a semi gloss/ semi flat look thats real close to the original sheen. Its thin and will run if you're not careful and must be sprayed durring low humidity. Other than that, I was pleased with the results on the 65 Chevelle metal dash that I painted with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts