Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a billet tranny pan that I believe is set up for a temp gage for the tranny. If I choose not to run a temp gage , what can be used to simply stop up this hole. I can't seem to find any pipe or other threads to fit.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry. I'm not that psychic. Use a thread pitch gauge.

http://www.malonespecialtyinc.com/tech.htm
Paul,
I am a tool & die maker of some 40 odd years. It's not like your talking to a novice here. I have great respect for your knowledge and the help you provide here. BUT! I feel that sarcasm was uncalled for. A thread pitch gauge is about useless when your trying to check an inside thread on a .200 inch thick pan. How many threads do you thing are in there. I was trying to find out if it is a tapered pipe or something other with a flange. I have access to many things the average person doesn't. Have not found any thing to fit correctly yet. Thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
How is that sarcastic? You tell us we have an unknown billet pan and we are supposed to "know" what thread it has? The fact that you are a machinist makes this all the more perplexing. How about trying some taps in the hole?
Maybe it's metric, maybe it's straight thread. If it's that small maybe it's 1/8" NPT for a thermocouple but that's too thin for pipe thread. It should have a welded boss if it's going to take a tapered thread. You'll have to continue to check, because all we can do is guess.

You could always call the manufacturer and ask them what they thread that hole for. I guess that could sound sarcastic also.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The temp adapter is a fitting that accepts the mercury tube for manual type temp gauges.

The female part of the adapter in 99% of the time is a AN fitting -6

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is that sarcastic? You tell us we have an unknown billet pan and we are supposed to "know" what thread it has? The fact that you are a machinist makes this all the more perplexing. How about trying some taps in the hole?
Maybe it's metric, maybe it's straight thread. If it's that small maybe it's 1/8" NPT for a thermocouple but that's too thin for pipe thread. It should have a welded boss if it's going to take a tapered thread. You'll have to continue to check, because all we can do is guess.

You could always call the manufacturer and ask them what they thread that hole for. I guess that could sound sarcastic also.
Sounded scaracastic to me. If I'm wrong I apologize.
1st off I did not say anyone was "supposed" to "know" anything. I was simply asking if anyone did from prior tasks.
A tap (any tap) wobbles around in the hole because of the thin wall. All types of things screw right through it or don't enen tighten up at the end of the thread. There is no boss or shoulder around the thread. Just a plain threaded hole though the aluminum wall of the pan. As I said not much thread to check.
I was able(late last night) to find the prior owner and he said the pan was bought to fit a temp gage made by Auto Gage. Guess I'll do some checking with them. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey AL

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
More information is useful. Is this a used pan?
What's the ID of the hole? That will tell us the approximate diameter. With only .200" of thickness an 20 pitch thread would have 4 threads but if it's coarser like 12 threads per inch you are talking less than 3 threads.

You could drill and re-tap it to the next size up on you machinist chart, but I would look at TIG welding a boss for more meat and Helicoil it. That way you could use it as a drain plug with out wearing out the soft aluminum threads.

As a third alternative you could use a stainless bulkhead fitting and cap it off. Parker makes them.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes it is a used pan. Got it on a good tranny so I wasn't gonna take the pan off. I really don't want to mess it up for future use by welding or other means. If I remember correectly, I think the minor dia of the hole is .770 . Thread looks to be pretty coarse.(in the 13 or 14 range) what I'd call coarse for that wall thickness and that large of a hole. Oh well, maybe I'll just order a Trans Temp gage for the damn thing whether I think I need it or not. I shoulda posted a pick of the hole and its location in the
1st place. Its kinda high on the pan for a drain.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Yes it is a used pan. Got it on a good tranny so I wasn't gonna take the pan off. I really don't want to mess it up for future use by welding or other means. If I remember correectly, I think the minor dia of the hole is .770 . Thread looks to be pretty coarse.(in the 13 or 14 range) what I'd call coarse for that wall thickness and that large of a hole. Oh well, maybe I'll just order a Trans Temp gage for the damn thing whether I think I need it or not.
if that is correct then the plug I listed will not work.

that specs could be 1/2 pipe plug :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Hey Lance this may sound dumb; is it possible that it isn't threaded for a plug? Some of the drain plugs you can buy you drill a hole in the pan and screw a threaded bung with a nut on the outside. Then the center part has a threaded hole in it. You can screw temp gauge or drain plug into that.
Maybe the hole isn't supposed to have threads in it and only has what few threads were where cut into it the bung part made when screwed into the pan.
Summit part number MRG-4470

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-4470/?image=large

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Hey Lance this may sound dumb; is it possible that it isn't threaded for a plug? Some of the drain plugs you can buy you drill a hole in the pan and screw a threaded bung with a nut on the outside. Then the center part has a threaded hole in it. You can screw temp gauge or drain plug into that.
Maybe the hole isn't supposed to have threads in it and only has what few threads were where cut into it the bung part made when screwed into the pan.
Summit part number MRG-4470

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-4470/?image=large

That looks exactly what you need. Drop the pan and install that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts