Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tire Diameter

I am working on mini tubbing my 66 now. The fit will depend on the wheel specifications. With the stock axle location, the front of the wheel lip will probably be very close (too close for me). If the tire has to be inside the forward bottom edge of the fender, it is not likely you can get that wide. Being able to use most of the wheel opening and getting close to the lip at the top, not at front or rear of lip which is curved in, I am limiting my choice of tire to 26 inch diameter. That information is from using a Percy's WheelRite tool (recommended) with the stock rear end to get measurement info.

The tire I want to use is 26.3 inch diameter but I am planning to move the axle centerline back .25 inch to account for the larger diameter. Once I get the rear installed I will measure again to make sure my plans yield the desired result before I order wheels that will be made to my specifications.

The tire noted likely will fit in a static condition. My opinion is it would be too close for spirited driving. You may get rubbing depending on how much deflection you see in operation. If it were me, I'd take measurements at multiple axle deflections to be sure. For things to work in this confined space everything needs to be coordinated.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
What is the largest diameter tire to fit on a lowered gen II? I plan to run DSE mini tubs, and hoping to fit a 26.3" diameter tire in the back (305/30-R19).. will it fit?
I think you could make that work. I did DSE tubs and a CBR 4-link suspension. I run 315-35/17s. I would have went to a 19 but billet specialties didn’t do a 19 in my wheel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you could make that work. I did DSE tubs and a CBR 4-link suspension. I run 315-35/17s. I would have went to a 19 but billet specialties didn’t do a 19 in my wheel.
Do you happen to have any photos of the tire in the opening?

I will be using a DSE quadralink, so I can centre it a little also, my flange to flange width is 52.250"
So I hope to use 5" back space.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Do you happen to have any photos of the tire in the opening?

I will be using a DSE quadralink, so I can centre it a little also, my flange to flange width is 52.250"
So I hope to use 5" back space.
Here are a couple pictures. These wheels are a 5.25” back space and my rear differential is also 52.25” flange to flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Biggest Tire

These photos support my claim that 26 inch tire diameter is about as much as is possible with stock rear location. The 315-35/17s are 25.7 inch diameter. The 26.3 diameter tire is going to take up an additional quarter inch all around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts