Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 12''w Mickey Thompson tires on my 71 Nova and their so big that they hang out of the fender well, because of this i was pulled over by a cop and they said i cant have them stickin out past the fender well. Is there anyway i can make those tire fit in the fender well, like special deep dish mags, or do i have to get a whole new rear end. Anyway to get those tires in the fender well would be great!

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Either tub the car and shorten the axles or put on some fender flares.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
big tires

Ok where to begin. What is tubbing the car? If you shorten the axles your implying that the width of the rear has to be shortened also? And last what is backspce when it comes to wheels? As you can see with these questions I am a novice at this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
tubbing, cut out the old inner fender wells and making them wider so a wider tire will fit in them

backspacing is the distance from the inside mounting are to the edge of the rim

shortening a rear end is expensive

·
Banned
726 Posts
Tubbing or "back-halving" involves cutting out the existing inner fender wells and making and installing new ones. When doing this the rear end housing is also "narrowed" and new axles made to fit. This allows you to fit a wider and sometimes taller tire.
-Steve

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
68chevyll said:
12" wide Mickey's on a stock Nova rear no way. I would go with a smaller tire and the proper backspace wheels and get em tucked in. Later.

Mark!
I think a 275 tire is the widest you can stuff under there as long as you run the proper backspacing. Even then, the rear-end may not be perfectly centered under the car and you may have rubbing on one side or the other. You just have to take your time and measure what will fit. Every car will be a little different.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Move to Cleveland. A lot of the cars here have all 4 tires sticking out of the fenderwells. Cops don't hassle them. Dave

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
sorry, but cars look NASTY with the wheel opening radiused and 14" tires with a stock length rear...fender flares are even worse....sorry, i just had to say it. later!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts