Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 402 engine that is ready to paint but I neglected to remove a plug for the TCS sending unit on the passenger side cylinder head. The plug has a recess for a 3/8" drive. I have tried a breaker bar drive on it, tried using a cold chisel to drive it and it is starting to look a little worn.
Does anyone with their repetoire of experience, had any luck in getting a plug out of a 30 plus year old head?
I am worried about trying an acetylene torch as perhaps the head would crack. If I drill it out, I may lose the water pump.
Some how, some way that plug is going to come out.
Many thanks in advance, John.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
PB Blast penetrating fluid??? Helped me out on a few body to frame bolts on my bro-in-laws 40 Chevy. Let it sit overnight and shot it a couple times. Breaker bar and pipe required.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
The guys in the dealership where I work weld a nut onto the plug, using a 220 mig or an arc welder. This does 2 things. Heats the plug a bit which helps it come out, and gives you a nut to put a wrench on. They had one a few weeks ago that finally came out when they welded the fourth nut on. (First 3 the welds broke before the plug came out) I wouldn't think this would heat the head so much that it would damage anything.

No warranty of any kind suggested or implied with this suggestion:D

Carl

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I could never get the oil galley plugs out of blocks until I started using heat. I use a cutting torch to heat the plug itself. The block also gets hot but the plugs unscrew very easily after I heat them up. Been doing that for many years now with good success. RM

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i would think as long as you didn't try to cool the head too fast (i.e. dumping water on it after heating it up) you won't crack it. there's a lot of iron there.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your suggestions. We tried heating the heck out of the plug but she still wouldn't move. As a last resort I borrowed a candle, let the wax do it's thing for 30 sec and hit the plug again with the breaker car. Out she came like a piece of cake!
John.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts