Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just been informed that the entire exhaust system needs to be replaced on my '73 Chevy Nova. Problem is
I'm in Canada and they can't find any of the parts. Not the Y pipe or exhaust pipes. Seems everything is now dual
exhaust which I would rather not have. It's more expensive and not really needed for what I use my car for. Not into
racing, don't need more power than I already have and want the muffler to be as quiet as possible. The garage has
checked all over Canada and the US for the single exhaust system and can't find it. Help(and direction) would be
appreciated as to where to find the needed parts. The engine is a 350.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I haven't put an exhaust on from many years but when I did put the exhaust on my 1965 Nova I went to a local muffler place who was able to bend up the exact original exhaust for me.

I am working on another 1965 Nova and I plan to do the exact same thing again.

Since I am about 6 weeks away from needing my exhaust installed, I just called up the local place I am thinking about using and he said that he can bend up an original exhaust system for me. He said they have patterns to follow fro older vehicles but they typically require tweeking to get them to fit correctly.

It may be a bit more expensive to go this route but your also supporting local business this way.

Just something to think about.

Frank

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called up the local place I am thinking about using and he said that he can bend up an original exhaust system for me. He said they have patterns to follow fro older vehicles but they typically require tweeking to get them to fit correctly.It may be a bit more expensive to go this route but your also supporting local business this way.
Just something to think about.Frank
Wow. Thank you. Sounds great. Does one have to keep away from the major ones(like Midas Muffler,etc) and look for more of a private enterprise who would do this? Just thinking that these big businesses tend to do mass production and may not really know about or want to fabricate pipes.

·
6,498 Posts
I bought a single system for my 68 from the below company and have been very happy with it and the install went super easy.

If you do order from them, see if any shipping can be saved by sending it to a business address like what I did. It wasn't directly to my door but there were no issues here either.

A down side is the waiting period BUT if one plans ahead, no big deal.

Below is a link to pictures of the old system that failed, parts from Waldron, as well as special hanger clamps and the hangers themselves I had to source from other places:

I will say when I put the system on at a buddies shop, one guy had everyone in the shop be quiet so we could see if we could hear my car running and it was VERY quiet.

Jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a single system for my 68 from the below company and have been very happy with it and the install went super easy.If you do order from them, see if any shipping can be saved by sending it to a business address like what I did. It wasn't directly to my door but there were no issues here either. Jim
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. Things coming from the US are crazy expensive, but then again, even if they're bought in Canada, chances are they came from the US.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't the shop just make up an exhaust for the car? I mean it is a muffler shop.
The garage isn't a muffler shop and they're not prepared to fabricate a whole new exhaust system. They mentioned the Walker System but that's
dual and I don't want dual if I can get single.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I sold my 73 it had hooker headers with a dual axel dump Magnaflows that came with the car, it was all done by a local shop so I agree with @tburgchevy that finding a local shop would be the easiest, and probably more cost effective. Not to mention you can pick any design or mufflers you want.
For example OEM style exhaust for my 74 inline 6 is upwards of $400, while a local muffler shop did it for $100

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Wow. Thank you. Sounds great. Does one have to keep away from the major ones(like Midas Muffler,etc) and look for more of a private enterprise who would do this? Just thinking that these big businesses tend to do mass production and may not really know about or want to fabricate pipes.
They all should be able to bend up your stock exhaust system, call and ask them first. It should be cheaper that way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update. Brought it to a garage that had good reviews for exhaust/muffler work. They said on the phone that they could "make something up"(for around $750.00 plus tax). I had an appointment this morning for an exact pricing and the up shoot is that the two exhaust manifolds are rotting. Price for new is $550.00 apiece(according to the manager the price is jacked up because people are restoring cars so they're taking advantage of that fact and think everyone who needs a part is in the process of restoring their classic cars and can afford it) so he's checking the two auto wreckers in my city to see if he can locate some used. I hope so.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a lot of $. Don't they make an exhaust kit for your car? ( Summit, jegs)

Not that they can locate in Canada. Seems they can't get the Y pipe. They don't even know, for that price, if they can duplicate it exactly(and this is a garage that has countless good ratings for exhaust/muffler work). Seems the kit is for a dual exhaust(which I don't want) and there's no kit for a single exhaust so it has to be made up from scratch.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Why do you not want a dual exhaust??
With quet mufflers it won't be any louder than a single system, with the upside is the engine will perform better.
The Summit, Jeg's, DynoMax, Thrush/Hooker kits fit well, I've used the Hooker design that Summit has copied before, and a friend has used the Jeg/s
They will be as quiet as whatever muffler you choose.
Will Rock Auto deliver to you in Canada??, they have the Thrush system.

No way would i let them rape me for $750 for a single pipe system, that's taking advantage of you. Same with the exhaust manifolds, they are screwing you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Why do you not want a dual exhaust??.........Will Rock Auto deliver to you in Canada??, they have the Thrush system.
No way would i let them rape me for $750 for a single pipe system, that's taking advantage of you. Same with the exhaust manifolds, they are screwing you.
When I asked what dual exhaust would give me(the first garage that replaced the rad which was causing a leak that I had posted about on another thread quoted approx $750.00 plus tax for a dual system) they said more power. I don't need more power and it just seemed double the problem. Thing is, when I bring it to a garage they order from who they order from. I have no say. The first garage also had a dual exhaust system - I think he called it the Walker system(could be wrong on the name but it sounded like that) and they already had one in stock. They couldn't locate the Y pipe either for a single system. I brought it to the second garage as they quoted as I had previously posted. I'm from Canada and prices are almost 40- percent more than what Americans get the parts for because garages(and even Canadian suppliers get them all from the US) . The difference between the US and Canadian dollar is a loss of 25 cents on the dollar and then they tack on shipping. That's reflected in that I'm paying 40-percent more. Strange that the first garage didn't mention about rotting exhaust manifolds when they were quoting prices.

Just called a third garage. Ball park figure for a single exhaust system is "around $800.00" .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts