Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been watching some sites talking about the big port Vortec heads , wondered if anybody here has any first hand experience with them.

I saw where at first they were 205cc , then saw one site that says they are 215cc , now they say there is a revised edition thats 225cc.

I found one site but didn't save it , they claim 300cfm with a 2.05 valve and porting.

anyone ,anyone ???

I was gonna stick with the ported 292's , but these heads look kinda neat and the taller port/small valve prolly works or GM wouldn't have done it. I can sell the 292's to a cast iron circle tracker so i'm gonna do that. Gathering parts for prolly a 388. Found a block thats been aligned honed but scratched one bore but all it needs is to go to .060.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have a set of the ZZ5`s 2.02 valves/ 220 cfm that I`m about to put on a 350 crate motor with a bigger cam,[undecided on what cam]. All of which will be in my Nova around July.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bowtie vortec

they're calling this head , Bowtie Vortec ,,, i don't think its been out too long , but i never was a big fan of vortec heads , they just didn't interest me. But these do .

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Look in Best of Powertrain Archive above for the thread.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We have used the Vortec Bowtie heads on alot of our engines and the newer heads still have the 218 runners not 225 like they were talking.

The big runner heads do have the D-port exhaust ports and do move a lot of air.

There is such a thing as quanity of air and there is such a thing as quaility of air and the Votec Bowtie heads have the quality of.

We use them on alot of Circle track applications alon with a lot of other shops as well and so far between us all we have not found a better set of 23 degree cast iron heads out there.

Check out this 358 pump gas build on this site http://www.3vperformance.com/ as Tom use to be my bus. partner before he left to work for the cup teams and they guy that owns this engine lives near me and it performs very well.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx

thanx for the links , apreciate it very much. I wish they would have disclosed the cam specs in those articles , but i guess thats in house information only.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Well, at least with my tech article,I'd be happy to disclose my cam specs. Be sitting down, 'cause it was a pretty darned small camshaft.

In hindsight, I should have swapped out those heads before the car went to Washington. They had quite a bit of potential. But, I'm sure it was one of the contributing factors as to why the new owner wanted the car.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, at least with my tech article,I'd be happy to disclose my cam specs. Be sitting down, 'cause it was a pretty darned small camshaft.

In hindsight, I should have swapped out those heads before the car went to Washington. They had quite a bit of potential. But, I'm sure it was one of the contributing factors as to why the new owner wanted the car.
Well? Let's hear the cam specs!!! :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
We have used the Vortec Bowtie heads on alot of our engines and the newer heads still have the 218 runners not 225 like they were talking.

The big runner heads do have the D-port exhaust ports and do move a lot of air.

There is such a thing as quanity of air and there is such a thing as quaility of air and the Votec Bowtie heads have the quality of.

We use them on alot of Circle track applications alon with a lot of other shops as well and so far between us all we have not found a better set of 23 degree cast iron heads out there.

Check out this 358 pump gas build on this site http://www.3vperformance.com/ as Tom use to be my bus. partner before he left to work for the cup teams and they guy that owns this engine lives near me and it performs very well.
Over 600hp? with only 11-1 compression! I'd like to know the cam specs on that one. It does look like the heads got some port work from what I see in the photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts