Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm tired of researching. I need the guys who actually have this cam in a sbc. How did it work for you? There are too many guys commenting on this cam who have never used it. This cam may go into my new 383. Combo:

1963 nova
Afr 195 eliminators
299thr7 cam kit
10:1
T350 hughes 3000 stall
373 posi
Manual brakes and steering
98% street/ cruise night use
Mini tub and 4 point cage

Sorry fellas, I don't need to hear ... There's better cams out there....
Big mutha thumpr users !

Thanks

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
It looks like it would fit in with everything else you have in your combo. The only drawback I could see is low rpm driving. But that is expected with a large duration cam. Have you looked into the spring upgrade for the heads? AFR has a different spring more suited for hydraulic rollers. It is on their website. They told me that the hydraulic flat tappet spring supplied on the head is good enough, but I wanted to be safe. They swapped them free of charge, I just had to send the flat tappet springs back to them.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I have the smallest thumper cam in my 67 SS and EVERYONE loves the way it sounds! I gets up and goes as well! Thinking of trying the bigger one in my 62 c-dan!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I have had customer have me remove 3 of them.

Don't ask me why or what.

You have been told, live and learn.

They are great sounding cams with very poor performance and mileage.

Rev kit with that cam is not needed or beneficial.

Maybe you need to ask your "ENGINE BUILDER" how many he owns.

It's no secret in the real world all Comp does is widen the LSA for sound and kills performance.

You have purchased some very good quality parts, so slam that junk bump stick in the hole and ride. I honestly believe you have already purchased one. So go woopety whaop and enjoy.

PS: Don't pull up beside any Rice rockets with that bad *** sounding car, they gonna toast you!

Per your application the cam will work for your application.
98% street/ cruise night use.

Warning!
The other 2% will be a embarrassment! :eek::eek::eek:

IMHO
AL

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Big Al is right. If you notice, even comps marketing states first and foremost "big muscle SOUND". Which basically translates to "all show, no go". Helped install one in a 70 monte, dude didn't get but 6 blocks before he called complaining. 48 hours later (summits delivery time) we installed a lunati voodoo... Nothing bad to say about it... Don't recall the specs of either, the comp was the motha thumpr though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I always love the coments on these cams! lol There are better cams out there & the best cam is a custom cam, but the thumpr series does ok. The ones I have used were mostly requested by the customer, & the fact is they make ok power. There is a muthr thumpr in a buddies 71 nova that runs mid 11s with one. They love beehive springs!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ok, I'm tired of researching. I need the guys who actually have this cam in a sbc. How did it work for you? There are too many guys commenting on this cam who have never used it. This cam may go into my new 383.
Sorry fellas, I don't need to hear ... There's better cams out there....
Big mutha thumpr users !Thanks
Sorry, I don't have first hand use but I do have second hand. Last November I saw a dyno of someone else's 383 with a lesser quality head than you use make 489 HP and 480 TQ with the "Big Mother Thumper" cam. I was impressed with the numbers and curve plus it sounded so SWEET. I would think you will make more. Jack

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have had customer have me remove 3 of them.

Don't ask me why or what.

You have been told, live and learn.

They are great sounding cams with very poor performance and mileage.

Rev kit with that cam is not needed or beneficial.

Maybe you need to ask your "ENGINE BUILDER" how many he owns.

It's no secret in the real world all Comp does is widen the LSA for sound and kills performance.

You have purchased some very good quality parts, so slam that junk bump stick in the hole and ride. I honestly believe you have already purchased one. So go woopety whaop and enjoy.

PS: Don't pull up beside any Rice rockets with that bad *** sounding car, they gonna toast you!

Per your application the cam will work for your application.
98% street/ cruise night use.

Warning!
The other 2% will be a embarrassment! :eek::eek::eek:

IMHO
AL
Geez oh!
Hey that made a lot of sense. "I have had customer have me remove 3 of them.

Don't ask me why or what."

Like I said I was looking for actual personal accounts of this camshaft. Positive or negative. Not third party reviews or s--- talk. Just researching!
I asked about thumpers a while ago
Al made alotta sence and ill be contacting him when im ready

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Domer, Just wondering, why did your buddy complain about the cam and what was his set up? small block/ big block , comp, gears, heads. More info would be great!
Wasn't nothin special... 350 with a performer rpm top end kit (iirc he had a different manifold don't remember what though) dude wanted more out of it. Sure sounded better, but he said it felt like it took his setup down a notch. Wasn't my job, I just happened to show up to use a lift and helped with the reassembly.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would be more afraid to use that cam with those heads because of the 13degrees more duration on the exhaust than the 107LSA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of hp/tq differences between the 299thr vs the xr 288hr or xr294hr?
Some of you are making it sound like it will be huge! Still have not found anyone who has hard facts or experience just the same smack talk. Gotta remember here, there are a lot of people in theses forums who endorse certain companies because they work for them or are sponsored by them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Some of you are making it sound like it will be huge! Still have not found anyone who has hard facts or experience just the same smack talk. Gotta remember here, there are a lot of people in theses forums who endorse certain companies because they work for them or are sponsored by them.
If you want hard facts, step away from the computer & find yourself a good engine builder, he should be able to tell you all about what you should run for a combo & have some hard facts to back it up. I have dyno & track proven combos that I build from. To me, I could care less what it says on the cam box or what fancy name they call the cams, Voodoo, thumpr, don't care as long is it performs like it should!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Well since we are all smack talkers, then buy it and run it so you can be the expert. Basically you want someone that has put it in their car, and swapped it out and compared it to every other cam out there to tell you. The other choice is, most people that have used it, haven't compared it to anything else, so its the best cam they used. I can see how that is much more objective. Would I use one? No never. I would call any cam grinder and have one made for my car before I would buy one of those. Based on my knowledge of cam specs, I can tell you it is by far not the best. And I didn't even have to run it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The heads are the key to power on a motor. If someone else used this same camshaft and had some crappy old cast iron 882 smog heads on an otherwise awesome motor, they definitely would not be happy with this cam and will give it a bad review. It will only work if you have an extremely good set of heads. This being said, the AFR heads you have are a very nice piece and should be able to handle a fairly large camshaft.

There are a lot of variables to different motor combinations. Some work and some don't. There are a lot more questions that you should be asking rather than did this cam work for you or not. If it did not work for them, I would want to know what heads, intake, carb, headers, exhaust pipe diameter, mufflers, pistons, compression ratio, etc. they were using. If it did work for them, I would ask the same questions.

Just my $.02 worth. Hope it helps, but this is not a simple thumbs up or down question.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts