Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hows it going? I havent posted much, but find what i need by reading the forms but im stuck here. I have a 72 nova with a 350 and a 4160 holley.
I just put a Holley blue electric fuel pump on it.I have it feeding my Holley 110GPH mechanical fuel pump up front.See when i set the fuel pressure regulator too 4-7 psi, i keep on flooding the carb out at high speeds only. She runs like a champ off the line and mid speeds, floods only at around 60 mph with the peddle mashed to the floor.I tried floats, chokes all open. I have it set to 3psi right now and runs fine, no problems at all, nice and strong you know.I thought it might be the fuel gauge so went out and got an other one but same old thing. You guys think i should just ditch the engine pump and run the holley blue pump ony?? Ive spent good money on alot of beers trying to fix this one with no luck.
I can use any help you guys can give and thanks alot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For starters throw away the mechanical pump. You don't need it. You are defeating the purpose of an electric pump. The only I see is that it might be the mechanical pump forcing too much pressure at high rpm's. I would run the pressure at 6 psi.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
From what I've always understood is it's one or the other. Your not supposed to run an electric pump in series with a mechanical pump. I've seen some extreme racing applications run dual fuel pumps, but they were ran in parallel or each one was feeding a different carb. To need that much pressure you would have to have one kick @$$ engine well above 1000 HP. The only other application I've seen dual pumps was a dual fuel tank configuration and it looked screwed up and half @$$ to me, but it worked.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Go with one pump only. Adding the electrical in front of the mechanical may be increasing the pressure to the carb. 4-7 from the electrical + the 7 from the mechanical may be 11-14 at the carb. The mechanical isn't designed for it and it may cause it to fail and leak also.

At lower fuel rates the floats may be able to control the fuel flow, but at higher rates the higher pressure may cause so much turbulance that the floats can't control the fuel level adequately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot that was my next plan.soon as i get the front springs back on ill try it out.See what i come up with!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts