Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find anyone who has put a new front clip, (Alston, Hiedt or TCI) in a 63 style car with a Big Block. I'm also looking for information on pan and header options. I started off by trying to put a modified Big Block in with stock suspention and decided in a very short time that was a waste. I do have a set of brand new Hooker Comp. headers and Moroso oil pan set up for the stock front end. The left valve cover on the engine hits the firewall right where the stock wiper motor is located which will have to be modified I'm sure. Anybody dabble with this set up?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
the chassisworks frame was made with a big block in mind.
We make under car headers, but fenderwells will fit, but may rub the tires.

use an oil pan from a regular car or truck .

the standard brake in our kit does not need a power booster, helping out the
big block fit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My web page has a few pics of 461 in my 64 wagon. Used factory frame rails with Heidt's weld in crossmember and suspension parts taken from a mustang II in the wrecking yard. Headers are Hooker super comp 2" fenderwell exit and oil pan is regular deep pan from my old 69 nova
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Tom at Dawson's Racing Headers makes a set that will fit. Lemmon also makes a set. I have seen the Lemmon brand on a Heidts front with a big block. Very clean and looked great. The tubes came close to everything but did not hit. Both companies are in the $800-900 range.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I went through basically the same steps you did, only mine is a 66 with a 510ci big block. I used the Chassisworks clip & their headers which are awesome quality by the way. Everything fits perfectly, even with a 5 speed. Stay away from fenderwell headers if you can...like the others said, issues with tire clearance, especially if you want the car to sit low.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
By the time I got a set of fenderwells to fit ( moving primary tubes around, cutting back the collectors and having the jet hot coated) plus the cost of the headers I was at around $800.

I like how they turned out but I think I would have gone a different route if I were to do it over.

You can use just about any " car pan" or use the one you have it will fit.

Either the valve cover or the firewall is going to have to be modified.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I have CW clip with CW headers and Big Block. Headers fit nice, I didnt like how the welds on the flange protruded into the flow path but they fit amazingly well. I am using Moroso aluminum stamped valve covers, i had to dimple the drivers side back to clear the firewall where the wiper motor attaches. I also had some old Cal Custom finned valve covers on there and they fit with no problem, they did not clear my stud girdles though.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big Block Install

Wow, thanks guys for your input! I almost thought knowone put Rats in these cars due to the low response at first. Seems like everybody is doing something a little different. I think I'll do the firewall mod cus I've also decided to get the TCI coil over complete clip just cus they are 15 min. from my house and it's good to be close to the manufacture (in case you have to jump on their desk for any reason =) With this set up I'll put the fenderwells on and see how they fit with this clip. If I dont have tire issues or ground clearance problems I'll use em, if not, unfortunatley, I'll have to have a custom set made. Anyway, thanks again guys! I'll let ya all know how it turns out.
AL

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
63 with a tci subframe

my subframe is a tci. i put s&s headers (part # 6502) they fit like a glove on a 396 b/block. the wipe im mounting on the inside. i notched about 1" off the firewall were the valve cover hit. a morso oil pan and stock one both will work. if you have any question you can e-mail me at [email protected]

good luck paul

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Big Block Swap

As you can see I just started pulling the front end apart. I'm putting in the 482ci @ 593hp engine on the stand. I decided to go with the Chris Alston Chassisworks complete front end. It was more money but I think it will suite my needs the best, plus, the headers were designed by them to fit their front clip perfectly and they tuck inside the frame rail which I like. Those of you who have installed a big block know that it's tighter than two thumbs up a pigs nose right!? Because of that I want it all to fit perfectly. Just have to modify the firewall but thats noth'in compaired to me always tell'in the wife it's only going to be another grand to finish the car!:mad: I'll be taking more pics as the project moves along.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey man, you did all the work, all I had to do is copy and paste.:rolleyes: Thanks again Big John!:D You da man!:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I noticed the carpet also. First we get a stereo then a TV and what a great idea!! Carpet the floor. Your car looks AWESOME!!!!!:chev:

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom Griffin said:
Ok, so I have to ask the question... Is that a carpeted garage floor:D
Tg

Yup! She likes the way it feels on her skins:D
AL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts