Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at 454 out of a 1 ton truck, he wants 900 for it but its complete and running and he says its a 4 bolt. does this seem like a good deal? he doesnt know the what the miles are and he says all 1 tons have 4 bolt main, does anyone know if this is true. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
so it may or may not need a rebuild? the last 454 4 bolt blk i bought i paid 200 for it. but that was hot tanked and checked for cracks and line bore checked. last summer i bought a running 454 out of a 75 short box pickup with the 781 oval ports for 500. so to me 900 for that motor is high.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would tell him $500 if he dropped it off at your place tell him take it or not. I got a 78 full size running sb for $300 del. (sold the brass rad for $6.00 in scrap and gave my buddy some parts for his truck too:D )

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help, ill think ill hold off on buying it and wait for a better deal. But is there any way to tell if its a 4 bolt, do all 1 tom trucks have a 4 bolt mains?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
A friend of mine his dad runs a machine shop and he sold a 402BB for 100 bucks but 402's arnt that great and the money is in a 454 but I bought my block for 325 from the machine shop all machined and ready to go but if your on a budget try to find a complete 454 and dont be like me and build one up cause its a pain lol, good luck

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I haven't own all the 1 ton trucks with 454's, I'm still driving one. I've owned 6 and parted out a few more and haven't found a 4 bolt block in any of them. I agree 900 is high for a truck motor.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
But is there any way to tell if its a 4 bolt, do all 1 tom trucks have a 4 bolt mains?
Drop the pan and look. Most people selling motors should not mind, if they don't pull the pan so you can look don't buy it. This way you can see if any rods are loose, and how clean it is inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts