Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got a chance to get out and drive my newest Nova and found it has a slight miss in the 2000-3200 rpm range,nothing serious but noticeable..get home and pull the cap on the MS* dist. and notice it has the infamous rusting problem which i kinda expected but when i took the rotor off i DIDNT expect to see that the advance weights had been removed. checked the timing and its set at 30 deg, plug gap is at .040. i'm new to big blocks but no mech advance seems kinda odd? if i get on the loud pedal better hold on to your hat it pulls like no other pumpgas motor i have experienced..little on motor and ignition..pump gas 540 10:1, digital 6 6520 box,hvc coil,and as stated 85551 pro billet dizzy.any input or thoughts from you guys?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
timing is locked out in that dizzy if its missing in the cruise area it may need a carb adjustment . with a locked out dizzy you dont need to set initial timing ( idle timing ) good luck. if it was me i would try 38 degrees of timing @ 3000 rpms. find a good strech of road so you can try some w.o.t. blasts then check the plugs and see what they look like

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
read on the ms* forums someone had a similiar setup as mine and they recommend starting timing like you said in the 36-38 range but open the plug cap to .050-.060 if under 11:1 motor..guess i gives me something to play with the weekend.:yes:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
timing is locked out in that dizzy if its missing in the cruise area it may need a carb adjustment . with a locked out dizzy you dont need to set initial timing ( idle timing ) good luck. if it was me i would try 38 degrees of timing @ 3000 rpms. find a good strech of road so you can try some w.o.t. blasts then check the plugs and see what they look like

X2! :yes:........

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
don't be afraid to try more timing. Depending on the dome of the piston it make need more. A buddy of mine used to run 43* in his 427 and I just talked to another buddy of mine that builds BB's and he just got a 433" off the dyno and he had to have 48* timing for max HP!!!! of course this is all on race gas....pump gas thats another story:devil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts