Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Is Correct For The Throttle Linkage On A Big Block Car? Right Now I Am Using My 6 Cylinder Cable And It Is A Little Short I Have More Pedal Than I Have Carb And I Am Afraid When I'm Banging Gears I Am Goin To Break The Cable If I Keep It Mashed To The Floor

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
BB Linkage.

The rod style linkage was used until approx. late Dec. 69 on the BB Novas. The change over took place around early January by most estimates. My black 4spd car is a Dec. car with the rod and my black auto is Jan with the cable. So there is the window for the change. Either style will work if properly installed. Hope this helps...

wilma:shh:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not intending to disagree, but I have a 70 small block car that has the rod linkage. I know the original owner and he claims it was never changed.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Linkage..

nukledragger said:
Not intending to disagree, but I have a 70 small block car that has the rod linkage. I know the original owner and he claims it was never changed.
Just a thought.
It all depends on When The Car Was Built!...model year changes for various components was very common. eg; throttle linkage, resonators, special paint colors, door hinges, sway bar(F-41)..in fact all of these were 70 specific..there are probably more for this year and others. There may even be production differences between SB and BB applications. Greg Roberts at the Nova Research Project website is a good source to check with on this subject. Go to www.chevynova.org

wilma:shh:

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Thanks Tom and SS396L34,
All of my 70 SB Cars had the Cable,all of the 7o BB cars had Rod.Made me think they did not put the Cable on the BB.
You made me 'Think",all the BB Cars were Early Production and also had Bolt on Doors.
Thanks for the Information.
Joe

·
Registered
768 Posts
1970 small block car, original owner says linkage never replaced. I did replace the rod to the carb but the other parts are original. I've included an i.d. plate photo showing '70 and pic of the rad panel proving that it's not an original big block car.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Both SB and BB had the rods until the middle of the '70 model year run. From what I've seen, the changeover from rod to a cable happened after the new year.

The reason was supposedly due to motor mounts. If they failed and the engine lifted, it could move or bind up the rod and create all sorts of problems when the engine over-revved.

If the engine lifted and moved with a cable, it wouldn't create the possibility of it launching out of control.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just curious, are any of the parts associated with the linkage ROD setup available either from GM or aftermarket. I have two other Novas and would like to convert them to linkage rods.
Thank you....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts