Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I followed the advice of several here (Big Al) and went with the Hamburger pan recommended and the associated Camaro frame mounts and motor mounts... it's close, but it doesn't fit. Just a *little* too much oil pan.

Anyone got any suggestions on a work around - I'd really like to keep the Hamburger pan, if at all possible...

passenger side:

driver's side:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the pan touching anywhere at all? If not all you should have to do is take a long punch slide it in on one side and just pry the mount on down to get the bolt thru .
Unfortunately, the pan is sitting on the crossmember...that's why the mounts and frame-stands don't line up...

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Can you run small block frame mounts to raise the motor up? Big block mounts are lower for more hood clearance...maybe???

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Big block swap doesn't Fit

I'm putting a big block into my 1973. I knew from Pace performance the stock pan won't fit a nova or chevelle. GM makes a replacement that will work but its a four quart pan. I don't feel thats enough oil. I'm planning to use a Milodon pan 7 quart, but its not cheap. Moroso also makes several pans but their not as nice as the Milodon. Maybe you could hepl me? Are you using a big distributor or small one. I have a big one and haven't mocked it up yet. Thanks Don

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I'm not sure if I follow you. Do you have Camaro frame mounts on a Nova? That may be a problem if they're different. Or you need a set of long solid motor mounts. Just a thought. Dave

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I am in no way a motor head (i'm learning - but not there yet) - but why not space the motor mounts up off the frame with some 1/4" steel plate - if you have the clearance from the hood and, if needed, can raise the tranny as well - provided you need to raise the tranny for the correct pinion / shaft / engine angels... kind of like using the SBC mounts - but maybe just enough to get it in...

????? :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
65 so cal is right, you could make a space plate for the mounts, provided the engine stays under the hood.

or try the small block frame stands, they may give you the tiny bit extra you need.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the motor, as it sits, on an engine dolly in the basement right now, while I sort out how to fit it in the car... as you can see, hood clearance is pretty much out the window anyway...

Good point about the center link, I thought it cleared just barely, but will have to recheck next time I've got the engine on the hoist.

pic of the big block Camaro frame stand:

pic of the small block Nova frame stand (this was in/on the car when the 350 was in it):

and one of the two of them together, just for reference:

·
6,502 Posts
If you were to space the mount on the motor or off the frame they are on a diagonal and to me this would mean they still would not line up later. If you space the frame mounts up then they also go in towards each other. If you space the mounts off the motor then they will go down but also will spread out wider.

If you do space either or both is there any flexibility with the mounting bolts through the holes to shift things a tad one way or the other ?.

I don't know if you would want to go through this but the center top section of the frame could be cut out and then filled back in lower underneath the pan. I've also seen some modified stock frames and they cut the holelower section out of the frame, weld in plates on the ends of the frame and then design a tubular support or a boxed section that can be bolted back in to get the frame strength back. If they ever have to drop the pan, this removeable center is taken out of the way and the pan comes out more straight down.

I don't know how loose the mounts are but I would give the pan plenty of clearance to where it has no chance of ever touching the frame. A small clearance like 1/16" might be enough but it may need 1/4" or a tad more.

You may also want to look around on camaros.net/forums to see if they have any info you could use.

Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think Custom Jim has the best solution. Just cut out the subframe with a cutoff wheel and fab some plates from 10 or 11 gauge mild steel and mig them in. Did this years ago on a 69 Camaro to clear an aluminum Moroso pan. Looks factory if done right.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmm, I ordered BB frame mounts and BB motor mounts and std. GM BB Generation IV oil pan and my big block dropped right in and fit perfect. Had a 6 cylinder originally so I had to change everything and had no trouble at all.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Hmm, I ordered BB frame mounts and BB motor mounts and std. GM BB Generation IV oil pan and my big block dropped right in and fit perfect. Had a 6 cylinder originally so I had to change everything and had no trouble at all.
You don't have a Hamburger pan on your motor...that would have done the same to you as the first poster had done to him.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems like notching the crossmember is the way to go... I need to double check that the pan clears the center link, too. Was too concerned with the mounts and didn't pay attention when I was test fitting the motor...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used factory Nova big block engine and frame mounts in mine, I had to put some spacers under the engine mounts (between the block and mount) to get the holes to line up when the engine was sitting in place. I also moved the frame mounts forward 1" so the HEI had clearance from the fire wall, but had to modify my sump to clear the steering arm behind the X member

1 - 20 of 23 Posts