Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions about my 72. I am converting from a 6cyl to a big block. Is there a difference in the radiator support that would require changing or modifying for a big block. Second question is why are there three positions on the subframe to mount the support? I'm still learning about Novas

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just finished the same project on my 72. I swapped in a 454 so I had to upgrade the rad. The rad cradle has mounting positions for the smaller original 17x20 and the heavy duty 17x23 rads, hence the single notch on the passenger side and the pair of notches on the drivers side. The hole in the cradle is punched out for the smaller rad and has a pressed crease as a guide to enlarge the hole for the larger rad.
There are three holes in the subframe where the rad cradle mounts. All I know is that the cradle has to go back into the same mounting location it came from regardless of engine size so your fenders line up.
I installed an OER reproduction (72-74 Nova) 3 row 17x23 rad (CRD1013S) that fit as original. I found an upper rad bracket and shroud from a 73 Ventura to finish it up.
No problem with temperature control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts