Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well havent been on here in a few months. and i got good news the 307 died and i got a 454 and th400 out of a 86 2500 with towing package. the motor is 4 bolt main. now i need some motor suggestions. i dont need rods or crank. but every thing else. and its got to work with my old setup wich is richmond 4.11 and a min spool hoosiers(28-12-15) slicks leaf springs and a 10 bolt 8.5 now all i wont is mid to low 11s out of this motor. ohya and tell me what u guys think.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Intake and cam change would be in order. What compression does the motor have? Are you looking to replace the heads? If not, a good port and polish job, maybe even mill down the head a little. Is it a vortec motor?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no not a vortec comp is about 9:1. what kind of intake and cam should i use im going to replace the pistons with 12.5:1 forged. and mill and port and polish the heads.

·
Registered
445 Posts
78novafan said:
no not a vortec comp is about 9:1. what kind of intake and cam should i use im going to replace the pistons with 12.5:1 forged. and mill and port and polish the heads.
something like a vic jr.
is this a race motor only?
Voodo hyd roller cams are good.

any help here guys!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Just a thought but I think the truck motors during that time used the small runner heads/intake so you may want to check that. If they are the small runner heads they aren't much good for speed, they were made for low end power and die about 4,000 RPMs. I swapped a set of the small runner heads and intake to a 402 I put in a P/U I had and it really towed well and actually got 12 MPG towing the car to Ohio through the mountains but it sure wasn't quick and just layed down after about 4,000 RPMs. Someone here may be able to tell you the part numbers of the small runner heads. RM

·
Registered
445 Posts
What will be the primary use of this car?
That is the first question.
If you want to run race gas then keep that compression. However, there are allot of guys that run pump gas big blocks. and they are fast.
My best suggestion on that cam would be calling one of the big cam companys and talk to them.
they will probably want to know things like,
what transmission are you running
what rear gear
what is the rear tire height
compression ratio
rpm range

---------------------------------------------
You know you can make 450 to 500 hp on a pump gas N/A big block.

·
Registered
445 Posts
find some 781 heads on ebay or at the junk yard. Have them fitted with bigger valves, ported and polished, maybe even flow them. then call the cam people and give them that info, they should point you in the right direction.

I used Isky, they ground me a solid roller cam, bought their red zone lifters. set me back about 1,000$

1 - 10 of 10 Posts