Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my 70', I'm looking at the BFG tires, they have the T/A tires, and the T/A Drag tires, but the 'drags' look like they don't go smaller then 235's. ( don't know if I want 235's on front) Is there a 'big' diff between these 2 makes, and how much est. time are you going to knock off in a 1/8 mile distance. My car now just has your average street tires on it, posi, 4 speed, stock engine, 36 year old engine block, original exhaust manifolds, points dist., etc.........thanks

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Running Radial T/As on the front, which come in a larger variety of sizes, and Drag T/As on the back would be the best way to do.

There's no need to run a sticky drag radial on the front of the car. It's wasted money.

I had Radial T/As on the back of my 67 on Friday night and ran a best 1/8th ET of 9.390 with them. Running a slick on the next night, not a Drag T/A though, my 1/8th ET went down to 8.389; a tad more than a second faster.

While not all of that improvement was traction, I think the largest part of it was. The moral of this story is, go with the stickiest radial tire you can for the back of these light backended beasts. :)

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, on my street tires, a 70' engine block, points dist., and 4 speed, 331's, starting out at '0' rpm's on each run (3).... I did a 9.94. I guess I need to throttle it up alittle before I start off, I just didn't want to break anything first time down the track. But to get the best time and shift properly, I'm going to have to get some drag radials, alum. jack to throw in trunk, and maybe a shift light. Tho I'm alittle confused on the 'measuring backspacing', don't know to put the ruler right in the middle....or where the lugnut goes. (1/4" diff) right now, on my rallys I'm coming up with 4 1/4 ", but like i said, depends exactly where.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
john_L. said:
Tho I'm alittle confused on the 'measuring backspacing', don't know to put the ruler right in the middle....or where the lugnut goes. (1/4" diff) right now, on my rallys I'm coming up with 4 1/4 ", but like i said, depends exactly where.
Backspacing is measured from the wheel's axle/hub mounting area (where the wheel mounting holes are drilled) to the exterior rim of the wheel. The distance between these two points, on the back side of the wheel, is its backspacing.

4.25" doesn't sound too far off from what I know of backspacing on standard Nova rally wheels. :)

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
All chev rallys, 8'', 7'', and 6'' have 4'' back spacing. There are aftermarket 8'' rallys that have 4.5'' bs, had a set on a my 67 chevelle, had an L60 15tucked under the wheel well with those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts