Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am looking to rewire my 72 from front to rear. My question is what is the best harness kit to install as a guy who does not have that much experience with wiring? I have done basic things but to replace everything in the car I just want to find something as close to plug and play as possible. All advice appreciated.

·
14,589 Posts
I got the factory replacement harnesses from Classic Industries when I did my '72. I used an AAW kit when I rewired my '69. If you are looking for a lot of options in a kit that allows for add ons later I would go with AAW.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,388 Posts
If you got 600-700 dollars for a new harness go for it, don't get a universal that as all yellow wires. I thought I was going down that road but later realized that my 72 harness was in pretty good shape. The dried up wrap can make it look bad but in reality most of it is in excellent shape. Not so much for under the hood. There is 2 parts to the under hood harness and you can figure it out looking at the block. The upper part of the block goes to the engine and it is usually toasted. The other half goes up to the lights and horn which is in good shape. I can restore my under hood engine harness for about $50 bucks with a crimp-per, original wire colors and Packard connectors from a couple online sites. Get some good heat resistant cloth wire wrap from Painless and it will look good. Under the hood I'm thinning out a bunch of smog wiring and running some heavy gauge to support some relays for electric fans. With some stock wiring diagrams I would think that is easier than taking on a complete new wiring harness. I can provide some color wiring diagrams that I re-did for a basic view. It's my opinion that it is easier for the novice to repair what you got than to rip the harness out and start from scratch. I'm in the middle of it and will share pics.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I second on not going with a painless, they have been a pain to me.

I prefer OEM style and modify as required, or add an additional fuse block for modern electrical pulls.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Seldom disagree with Mark but your original harness, even if unmolested has been baking in your car for almost 50 years. Throw it away and get a new AAW from Summit for $550. It will have all new marked and better wires, more options and flexibility and a modern fuse panel.
And, as said AAW has great instructions and tech support.

When you are done you will know a lot more about how the electrical in your car works. I'll never understand this stuff like Gable or Custom Jim but the installation process was educational.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,388 Posts
Seldom disagree with Mark but your original harness, even if unmolested has been baking in your car for almost 50 years. Throw it away and get a new AAW from Summit for $550. It will have all new marked and better wires, more options and flexibility and a modern fuse panel.
And, as said AAW has great instructions and tech support.

When you are done you will know a lot more about how the electrical in your car works. I'll never understand this stuff like Gable or Custom Jim but the installation process was educational.
Alf - I hear you man, the wire is compromised to a certain extent for sure. Definitely a case by case situation. Hey at least you have the assurance the wire is new and in great condition and if it's in the budget do it. I do wish I could get the upgraded fuse block but I'm not going to deal with those universal ones with terminal strips. A new harness is the only option there.

·
Registered
878 Posts
As good as AAW is, be clear, this is a lot of work. My advice is to remove your seats, glove box and instrument cluster.
The competed job is very rewarding but plan on lying on your back for a couple of days.
Lastly, you will need to buy the correct terminal crimpers as you will be using them thruout the project.
AAW will rent them for a nominal amount.
Have fun.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used AAW for a Camaro and M&H for my Firebird. Both were excellent and I don’t remember having to add any connectors, they both were as factory. I don’t know about M&H but AAW will also customize for you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Guys

I used an AAW classic upgrade harness on my wagon excellent harness quite easy to fit (just spend a couple of evenings with the wiring diagrams so you understand them). and yes get the correct crimpers.

Cheers Ian:uk:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts