Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today I got all the glass out of the car and was wondering what the best method of tinting windows is. can they be chemically tinted like sunglasses? is the only option that film I stick on? what have the rest of you done? what have you typically paid so I know not to get ripped off. I did a quick search of old threads and found nothing on the topic.

thanks, Chris

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Don't waste your time or money on the tint film you can buy in chain stores. It will turn purple in just a year or two. I don't know how much window films have changed ove the past 15 years, but 3-M used to make the best product, and I believe they stood behind it with a lifetime warranty. There used to be a spray-on tint, but it was crap. I don't know of any other way to tint windows.

Randy (my .02 cents worth);)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
if you have the glass out of the car there are companies that can apply tint and then bake it on, for what they say is a stronger finish.....theres a guy w a 66? wagon,gold, think hes on this forum that did that, he got all new glass cut and then tinted, he'll hopefully pop in on this tread, i think he said he went to his local glass shop......
when i retint my glass i hope to get all new glass that is tinted in the glass to where i cant scratch it.....havent looked around yet though
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Had the five windows tinted in my catera and the tint shop charged me 180.I refuse to tint my own windows again, i use to tint my windows when i was younger and it never looks as good as having a pro do it...:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
when i had my glass out of the car, mainly the back window. they said they would rather do it while its in the car..just because of the curveture of the glass, all the water and soap would run to the center of the glass( since it would be laying down on a dolly)..making it hard for the tint to stick and bubbles to leave..thats what they told me

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You can buy new glass already tined in green or smoke, or buy it clear, from several vendors. You can also get it date stamped or not. I have bought directly Pilkington Glass. They sell LOF products and ship everywhere.

The new film tints are a lot better than the old ones and work well but as the other poster said, have a pro do it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the reply's, mike what is the date stamp for? I really like the idea of buying tinted glass and just installing that. 3 of the windows have some pretty good scratches in them so I was going to have to replace them anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts