Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new millermatic 135. I now need to pick a helmet. I have heard this is the most important part of your setup. It seems for body work you should get a automatic darkening helmet, I see some at harbor frieght for really cheap...then I see some moderate ones at local farm supply store around $100....then I see some that are $200+.

What is the difference in these auto-darkening helmets? Advice please!:)

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
i just got a millermatic 135. what a great little welder. as far as the helmet goes i spent the money and bought millers elite auto darkening helmet. i paid $299 for it. i just got the plain one without all the fancy graphics. if you search the net i'm sure you could probably find it cheaper

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
A fellow member had sent me an extra that he had, it is the $65 Auto darkening harbor freight helmet. I think it is just great, too bad it doesn't help my welds any!!!:eek: :eek:

BTW Thanks Joe for the helmet.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I bought a Farm & Home special auto darking. It works really good; you can get the same thing off e-bay for about half of what I paid for mine.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There seems to be a vote for all of them...that is cool!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback..my local farm/home store was having a sale I'll have to go see if it is still on....

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I've got a Jackson auto dark like it alot. One thing about the auto dark they are great indoors when you can weld at your advantage but when your welding out of position they will flash not all the time but it will happen. So it always a good idea to keep a non-auto around also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
harhar

I weld every day for about at least 4 hours at a tank fab shop with a speedglass 9000, it has multiple settings shades 9-13, and a TIG setting, it runs.....around 300 i think.....luckily i got mine thanks to my daddy's former place of employment, MWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH, i think we've got like 5 other auto darkening hoods laying around...i'd sell if i could but father would throw a hiss fit. ..the only thing about the speedglass though, it's kinda close to your nose/face when you flip it down to weld.....many times the plastic screen is touching my nose, plus it says not to weld overhead with it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
For 50 bucks the Harbor Frieght stuff is not too bad! I had a 300$+ Snap-On that I got tired of it messing up so I violently set it on the floor,LOL! That same 50 dollar 'HF' helmet will be sold other places for more money so watch out. Most all your newer helmets w/ 4 sensors actually pick up the magnetic waves from welding that darken them instead of the light. A real nice comodity when welding out of position and blocking a single or double sensored helmet. There are some good helmets out there for 200 bucks and up and topping out at about 350 bucks. I'd start out with the 'HF' helmet and as you improve so will your desire for a nicer helmet(maybe), I still cant bring myself to buy a 300 helmet after using the dispensible 50 'HF' one,LOL.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
74customnova said:
I weld every day for about at least 4 hours at a tank fab shop with a speedglass 9000, it has multiple settings shades 9-13, and a TIG setting, it runs.....around 300 i think.....luckily i got mine thanks to my daddy's former place of employment, MWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH, i think we've got like 5 other auto darkening hoods laying around...i'd sell if i could but father would throw a hiss fit. ..the only thing about the speedglass though, it's kinda close to your nose/face when you flip it down to weld.....many times the plastic screen is touching my nose, plus it says not to weld overhead with it.
I have the 9000 too and love it. My nose isn't big enough to hit the screen though :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i have the miller elite big window jimmy jam...i love it except one thing compared to the hornell speedglass which is a vent near your mouth, i have some fogging problems, especially being as i have glasses...something to think about...

i have the same problem with mine hitting my face as well

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I have two helmets and like both of them. I have one of the HF helmets that is on sale for $54; it is very light and works good. The other helmet is one that lowers the shade with a movement of your chin; sounds wierd but it really works. I like it because I wear bifocals and need a "cheater" lens; with their lens, I can see the welds great and not have to wear glasses plus when you flip the shade up with a movement of your chin you have a clean view of your work. Check it out.
http://www.accustrike.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts