Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to wash an engine?. Should the engine be running or shut off ? I'm talking the entire engine bay and engine .. Any thoughts.? My cars in the early stages of body work and paint and she's getting rather dusty. And I'd like to know, ahead of time the best way to cleaner up.......Thanks tons...........

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
Trying to degrease, detail, or both? :confused:

For degreasing there are various aerosol Gunk engine degreasing products.... but Simple Green works just as well....

For detailing try CD2 Engine Detailer. If I recall correctly you spray it on then run your engine for a bit till it just starts to warm up.... then hose it down. Gives all surfaces a nice shine.:yes:

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Are you going for a show look? That's what it seems like. My engine bay looks good but needs some work and I just power washed mine.

I had the car in park in my driveway, put on the parking brakes and let it run while I power washed it. It did a decent job for just water, but may take some paint off.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to degrease, detail, or both? :confused:

For degreasing there are various aerosol Gunk engine degreasing products.... but Simple Green works just as well....

For detailing try CD2 Engine Detailer. If I recall correctly you spray it on then run your engine for a bit till it just starts to warm up.... then hose it down. Gives all surfaces a nice shine.:yes:

Cheers, Tim
Thanks Tim....The engine bay was freshly painted before I installed the engine...I rebuilt the engine so it's newly rebuilt painted and clean...I'll look for the CD2 ..Thanks again..

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going for a show look? That's what it seems like. My engine bay looks good but needs some work and I just power washed mine.

I had the car in park in my driveway, put on the parking brakes and let it run while I power washed it. It did a decent job for just water, but may take some paint off.
..Not really a show look...Just nice and clean....After it gets painted...I'm hoping the shop will clean it...I just want to be prepared ahead of time...It could be the end of next week I'll get my car back...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever method you use (powerwash especially) make sure you don't get water in the carb, or in the distributor or other electrical bits. Be careful where you aim that water...
Thanks patman....I'll make sure I keep your wisdom in mind...Thanks again...

·
Registered
76 Posts
sorry to bring a dead thread back to life, but how do you guys recomend I keep areas dry that shouldnt get wet (carb, plugs, wires, genny, etc)? I need to clean my entire block and engine bay so I can figure out where my oil leaks are starting from.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
sorry to bring a dead thread back to life, but how do you guys recomend I keep areas dry that shouldnt get wet (carb, plugs, wires, genny, etc)? I need to clean my entire block and engine bay so I can figure out where my oil leaks are starting from.
ya im curious on this to...my engine has sooo much gunk all over it. dried up oil all that nasty black stuff that's stuck on there real good...would degreaser be best? and how would i clean it up? what do i cover it up with and how?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm thinkin of just putting plastic bags over components that cant get wet, sealing them off with tape or something, and spraying the block, head, oil pan, undercarriage with concentrated simple green and carefully rinsing it off.

·
6,502 Posts
I've used plastic bags and then a second on top of that one just to be safe and either used some wire or tape to hold it in place.
Before I start I get the engine up to operating temperature and then shut it off and cover the electronics (distributor, coil, battery) with the double bags.
I then shoot the engine bay with something like Gunk engine degreaser and respray it again after a little while and then before hsoing it off I spray the fenders and other portions of the car to wet them down and then spray off the engine cleaner.
I let it dry and see how I did. Sometimes I have to get area's that are really gunked up by using plastic scrappers, putty knifes, flat blade screwdrivers or whatever and then apply another coat or two of degreaser. Then let it sit and wash it off a second time.
Eventually you should get it clean enough for your tastes.

Another thing I've used is old tooth brushes to help scrub area's. By heating up the handle you can bend the bristle end and keep yourself from busting your knuckles on things.

I would also do it in the street as it can make quite a mess in the driveway.

Under the vehicles I've also used gumout spray on things.

Another thing I've done before is to tap the garden hose into the hot water heater so I have hot water to help loosen the sludge and gunk up. Watch this though as some hoses do not like hot water and can burst.

Jim

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
I've used plastic bags and then a second on top of that one just to be safe and either used some wire or tape to hold it in place.
Before I start I get the engine up to operating temperature and then shut it off and cover the electronics (distributor, coil, battery) with the double bags.
I then shoot the engine bay with something like Gunk engine degreaser and respray it again after a little while and then before hsoing it off I spray the fenders and other portions of the car to wet them down and then spray off the engine cleaner.
I let it dry and see how I did. Sometimes I have to get area's that are really gunked up by using plastic scrappers, putty knifes, flat blade screwdrivers or whatever and then apply another coat or two of degreaser. Then let it sit and wash it off a second time.

Another thing I've used is old tooth brushes to help scrub area's. By heating up the handle you can bend the bristle end and keep yourself from busting your knuckles on things.

Another thing I've done before is to tap the garden hose into the hot water heater so I have hot water to help loosen the sludge and gunk up. Watch this though as some hoses do not like hot water and can burst.

Jim
ahhhhh very very good process thanks for sharing..how many cans of degreaser u think will do it? i got a lot of that black gunk crap stuck all over the block as well as under the car its pretty think and chunky

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
You would be better off to get a scraper or putty knife and a soda flat (the tray that 6-packs come in) and get under there and scrape the worst of it off before using the degreaser. Let the chunks fall into the box for easier cleanup. That way there is not so much of that grease all over the ground and the degreaser doesn't have to soak through as much - meaning you use less degreaser and its better for the environment.
I second the other recommendations - plastic bags over the carb, dist cap, and alternator with duct tape holding the bags tight to seal. One or maybe two cans of degreaser should do the whole engine and underneath if you scrape first...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Jim
Lots of good ideas there... One thing I did also was to put down a large sheet of plastic so I wouldn't get my driveway all greasy...

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
You would be better off to get a scraper or putty knife and a soda flat (the tray that 6-packs come in) and get under there and scrape the worst of it off before using the degreaser. Let the chunks fall into the box for easier cleanup. That way there is not so much of that grease all over the ground and the degreaser doesn't have to soak through as much - meaning you use less degreaser and its better for the environment.
I second the other recommendations - plastic bags over the carb, dist cap, and alternator with duct tape holding the bags tight to seal. One or maybe two cans of degreaser should do the whole engine and underneath if you scrape first...
ahh true..good thing i got a bunch scrapers and such :yes:
my block is black u can barely see any chevy orange

1 - 20 of 28 Posts