Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am finally going to have to remove the windshields and everything else left on the 62 so I can start blasting everything.

I have read that they easily will brake if not stored on edge which make sense. So assuming I get them out without braking them how did/do you store yours?

I am thinking of making a 2x4 rack lined with carpet but don't know were I will store it.

EarlyIIs

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i hog tie 'em in two places and hang it/them from the rafters. use a good rope that won't deteriorate and break and it works great. i've had glass hang for 10+ years and never had an incident. i hang 'em out of the way so there's no way of hitting/nicking them. you can clean & wrap 'em in a blanket first if they're really nice... wrap 'em in plastic too if needed...

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hog tie 'em in two places and hang it/them from the rafters.
Interesting idea Johnny, hadn't though of that. So you are hanging them flat rather than on edge?

EarlyIIs

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
No, i hang 'em sideways on edge... somewhat as if they were installed, but straight up. ;) make sure the ropes are tied together between/under the glass so loops won't slide off edge of glass. you can wrap/tie glass w/rope (inside blankie & plastic) then use thin dog leash type chain and hang 'em up, even Outside if needed. no wind, no rocks etc... somewhere protected from breakage/damage...

·
5,143 Posts
I have stored them flat for years.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200023524_200023524

I use racks similar to this from another co. have most of them wall mounted and some vertical.
I have stored windshields and back glasses at home in the rafters of the barn and pole shed. A couple pieces of roll bar padding or pipe insulation over the boards for padding. Support them about 1/4 of the way in from each end.
You may be able to get a windshield box from a glass co. that would work if you have a dry place to keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, i hang 'em sideways on edge... somewhat as if they were installed, but straight up. ;) make sure the ropes are tied together between/under the glass so loops won't slide off edge of glass. you can wrap/tie glass w/rope (inside blankie & plastic) then use thin dog leash type chain and hang 'em up, even Outside if needed. no wind, no rocks etc... somewhere protected from breakage/damage...
Looks like this may be my best choice. If I can find room to hang them . Might have to clean the garage attic and see if I can find a suitable place they will hang and be above the drop ceiling.

Thanks for the input everyone.

EarlyIIs

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
We've stored them flat at our dealership for about 30 years and never had an issue.

Just two uprights with about 1" wooden dowels sticking horizontally out of the uprights.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got them out today and have them stored on edge in the top of the garage.

Thanks for the help.

EarlyIIS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts