Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience getting the wrinkles out of a vinyl headliner for 1963-65 Nova's.

I left it out in the sun yesterday, but not much of the wrinkles came out.

I was thinking about taking an iron to it on the backside of the material.

If you have any suggestions that have worked for you in the past, please let me know.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I don’t think you want to use an iron..:no: Upholstreres use steam heat to relax the vinyl into shape.. An iron could melt or distort the vinyl pattern as there is direct contact with the heat source and material.. You will also be stretching the material as you install it and this will pull some of the wrinkles out.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I just went through this on my 65 two door post. First time ever installing a head liner. As mentioned do not use an iron.
Have you installed one before? there are a lot of good tips on here on how to install one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Guys

A hair dryer on warm is your best bet, anything else will be to hot and melt the headliner if you are not careful.

Cheers Ian

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I used a heat gun making constant circular motions being careful not to overheat it- following this guys tips:

·
Registered
174 Posts
You have to be very carefull using a heat gun, there is a point of no return!
The trick that the professionals use is steam, it will heat up the material but will also keep it from drying out and burning. Also work the area all around the wrinkles, not just on the wrinkle itself, the material has to stretch and shrink to relax the material and eliminate the wrinkles.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I did use a steamer initially and then moved on to the heat gun. I followed what the guy said in the video. I would heat up and let the wrinkles cool and kept going back- Don't be in a hurry- Also like mentioned I also heated the area up around the wrinkles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not use an iron to get the fold wrinkles out (as per recommendations here), most came out with from the direct sunlight. For a few of the stubborn wrinkles I added water to the back side and that worked to get all the wrinkles out prior to installation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my first time installing a headliner. I did review material on this website before starting installation.

I started my installation last night. I started with the middle bow and then worked my way to the front, then I added the back 2 bows. I then stretched the headliner front to back and side to side and then put lots of paper clips to hold it.

There are still a fair amount of wrinkles in the middle section so this weekend I plan to re-stretch the headliner to see if I can get more of the wrinkles out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a heat gun making constant circular motions being careful not to overheat it- following this guys tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WbqBtNWR5o
Thanks for this video. I had about double the wrinkles shown in this video.

Based on this and some of the posts, I will add heat with steamer or a heat gun and the wrinkles will eventually all disappear by applying heat and letting it cool. Well I will give that a try this weekend.

So once I am satisfied that all the wrinkles are out do I take off the clips one side at a time and then glue the headliner by applying glue to the body of the car and then to the headliner? I bought some headliner glue that has a brush on the end.

Do you put the headliner trim on to hold it after gluing or can you just leave the headline with just the glue to hold it in place while the glue dries?

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I followed advice from others.
I started at the windshield center.
Took some clips off and sprayed a bit of glue on head liner and on the retainer. Then I pulled right and reinstalled the clips.
Kept working windshield side to side and then started on the sides with same process. It is time consuming.
I left the clips on overnight before removing and then trim excess material before installing windlace and windshield and rear window trim pieces.
I Also still had wrinkles in several areas and used the heat gun again using method in the video.
Watch as many utube vids as you can and you will gain tips from each.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke to a guy who installed a headliner in a 1966 Nova and I took his suggestion to put a small space heater on the floor and cover the windows with blankets.

Then took out the headliner, took pictures of the areas that need screws applied (sunvisors brackets, rear view mirror bracket, coat hooks and dome light). I then re-installed the headliner, with the heat it made the headliner more pliable. I stretched the headliner out starting from the middle and worked my way out to the sides and front....and then to the sides and back...all the time applying the clips.

I then re-stretched it from the center to the sides and then to the front and back. I repeated this about 3 times applying more clips as I went.

After this repeated process of stretching I was left with very few wrinkles so then I applied heat to those areas with a steamer and all of the wrinkles came out.

It was time consuming but the finished product was excellent. I have probably about 3-4 hours of installation time up to this point.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Excellent.
If not to late it is best to put the screws in place before installation. It makes finding the holes easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts