Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Considering it's probably a stable plastic for gasoline/alcohol, if you don't care that it's in there, leave it for now and drive the car to nearly empty. You can then sound the bottom of the tank with your palm and locate it then try and bounce it to a corner then get yourself a coat hanger or long welding rod, put a little L-shape bend (like small) and try to gig the tube through its throat then on out of the tank. Or, pull the filler hose from the top of the tank and go in there after it. You'll probably have better luck doing that. All else fails, yank the tank! Or, just leave it... Lol. Good luck. Sorry, that sux!

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Oh, be careful to steer clear of the fuel sock and the float assy for the pickup and level sending unit. One scratch and you'll have to pull the tank for sure or you'll have nightmares with fuel clogging issues and your fuel gauge will not work properly.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Ouch! Sorry, that blows! Should still be okay. Stock tank and fuel sender or Aeromotive/other aftermarket? Could make a difference but I know people who have had golf balls and other crap in their tanks for years without issue... Except the damn noise :p :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
With the car on a lift it would take only a few minutes to drop the tank and pull the sending unit out. Once that was done it would be easy to look with a flashlight and fish it out. It might be a pain dropping the tank but it would certainly be the easiest in the long run.
I was thinking the same thing, it would take less time to drop the tank than it would to fool around with fishing it out.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
2,071 Posts
Dropping the tank is the most assured way to get anything out of the tank. But, I had the blame sock on my sending unit come off when I was pulling sending unit out of tank. I used a flexible probe camera (not sure that the right name) to look inside the tank through the sending unit hole. Once I located the filter I used a pick up tool from harbor freight to clamp on the sock and pulled it out. Link to pick up tool below.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I was having problem this spring with gas flow on 63 , seem to be at fuel filter, so I finially pulled tank, drained tank , but I put about gallon back in it and slushed it around, then poured that into a white bucket, I was amazed small particles in bottom, tank was 5 yrs old, I think Id get that out of there as soon as possible, good luck

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,590 Posts
YES ................... just pull th' tank ......... "once & done" .
then , you can sleep @ night ............................................ I'm a 3rd gen ; I can pull my tank (and HAVE) ,
many times . Just remove any / as much gas as you can . . . . then , "just do it" .
you'll be happy & done .

have Fun / go slow .

jim

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
948 Posts
Cut a hole in the bottom of the gas tank... remove object... weld up hole. What could be easier?
Don't do this. My lawyer made me write this part.
I've heard of brave welders purging gas tanks to weld on them...I can't really imagine where the risk of an explosion would be worth buying a new tank or paying to have one fabricated.
In any case, I'm on team "just drop the tank, get whatever fell in, out." I don't know how many times I thought taking some easier-sounding approach to solving a problem to avoid what seemed like a big task, just went horribly wrong and I ended up having to do what I was avoiding anyways.

·
Premium Member
1967 4 door with 500 hp stroker
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ouch! Sorry, that blows! Should still be okay. Stock tank and fuel sender or Aeromotive/other aftermarket? Could make a difference but I know people who have had golf balls and other crap in their tanks for years without issue... Except the damn noise :p :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the info on myb frame mounts....worked perfect !!~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.