Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G Day All, Just looking for people who had good results from painting their headers with Very High Temp paint. What brand of primmer/paint works best? There are differnt methods using differnt products. Just seeking the best bang for the buck for a weekend machine. Tks for your opinions.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I usually just sand with 220 grit, clean with wax and grease remover, then spray with VHT. I just sprayed a set that had been jet hot coated years ago. They were all scratched up and had a little rust. I'm hoping the VHT sticks to the jet hot coating. We'll see.

·
Registered
629 Posts
One other thing I usually do is hang them over my wood stove and let them cook for a day or two.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Paint

Speaking of wood stoves.. most retail fireplace shops carry STOVEBRIGHT , they have a " metallic charcoal" I used on stock cast iron manifolds.. looks great and stays on..easy touch up.. they also have a flat and satin black..

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
After reading what other people have used on other forums, I have read nuthing but great results from this stuff.
I sandblasted them first then sprayed with this and had them baked to cure at a powder coater, they came out great. So far the headers are doing good, have not ran them for very long yet though. You can paint, install, and run the motor to cure them also. I wasn't going to be firing up the motor for awhile so I had them baked.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/XTC.html

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
For my 62 fenderwell headers they MUST BE white! I got some of the rattle can paint marketed just for headers and it hasn't been working too well. I've only driven the car a handful of times and it's ready to paint again.

I'm going to go the ceramic coated route. It costs double for them to do white because they have to do the first coat, then go over it with white. The price to pay for nostalgia!:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
A few years back when I was making the decision on what headers to go with, I couldn't find anything that anyone said would last. Even the most expensive ceramic coated headers and very best after market sprays would supposedly give up the ghost after a while.

I made the financially painful decision to go with stainless steel. Even that will turn a bit over time, but so far I've got minimal discoloration - just a wee bit right at the heads - and I'm happy with my choice. I wanted a one-and-done deal as I hope to never remove the headers.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,841 Posts
here's mine -- stock 'six cylinder manifold' .
Pre-heated , then , post heated , let cure for 2/3 days ..... and burned off in about 3 weeks --- VHT ..... didn't hold-up for me , just FYI .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts