Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 68 has a tired 307, and he and I would like to replace it with a strong 350. He is in college and not real long on cash. He would like to get close to GM crate motor quality, but really can't afford the $2000. We have looked at the NAPA rebuilds, and they are fairly cheap, but we are not real sure about the performance and reliability. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
If it were me, I'd save my money until I could afford the GM Goodwrench crate motor. What needs done to the 307 to keep it running in the mean time?
Or for 500 bucks Paul W can build you a claimer 350 SBC:rolleyes: :D :)

Just kidding;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DriveWFO said:
If it were me, I'd save my money until I could afford the GM Goodwrench crate motor. What needs done to the 307 to keep it running in the mean time?
His 307 is starting to smoke, and is pretty gut-less. No knocks or anything like that. The 307 has absolutely no torque at lower rpms, and a very small band where it runs well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can he keep it running for the short term? 350's are nice, great torque and power, but with fuel prices these days it may be something to consider.

Tim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cdn67 said:
Can he keep it running for the short term? 350's are nice, great torque and power, but with fuel prices these days it may be something to consider.

Tim
He has an old Sunfire to drive back & forth to college, so with the relatively few miles he puts on the Nova, it won't make much difference if he gets 10 mpg or 18.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts