Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new carpeting I am putting in has jute (I think) backing which I assume is mostly for padding and not for sound. I do have some of the original sound deadener which is usable but only enough to cover about 3/4 of the floorboard area. What would be the most strategic places to use the deadener I have?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get some pretty inexpensive foil-backed stuff at Lowes that should help deflect heat. Is that worth doing?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you talking about the peel and seal?

I used it to completely cover all the interior panels.

It's under the hatch area too. More pictures here: http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14984
I don't think that's the name of it. It's about 1/4 in thick. It basically is 2 foil plys with an airspace in between. It is supposed to act as a heat shield. It also isn't pressure sensitive so I would need to glue it down to keep it from moving during installation of carpet. Where did you get Peel&Seal? Is it just for heat or also sound? How much?

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
For my car probably in my ears.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think that's the name of it. It's about 1/4 in thick. It basically is 2 foil plys with an airspace in between. It is supposed to act as a heat shield. It also isn't pressure sensitive so I would need to glue it down to keep it from moving during installation of carpet. Where did you get Peel&Seal? Is it just for heat or also sound? How much?
I'm curious about this too as I was thinking of putting some sound deadener down while the interior is still out of it. If I can get cheaper stuff at lowe's that works then I'm interested. Just looking for something to provide a little sound and heat barrier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used the Lowes foil backed bubble wrap stuff and I am more than happy. I reused the stock insulation and the tar like material on the floors but also added strips of the peel and stick inside the doors, floors, and in the kick panels. The peel and stick is more for sound carrying harmonics and vibration of the metal. I see people covering the entire area but after doing research the strips are just as good. That stuff is stupid heavy.:eek: My car has no rattles and is super quiet while cruising. No road noise and the flowmasters are no longer over powering the stereo with the windows up.:cool: Oh yea...I used spay on 3m adhesive to install the wrap.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the Lowes foil backed bubble wrap stuff and I am more than happy. I reused the stock insulation and the tar like material on the floors but also added strips of the peel and stick inside the doors, floors, and in the kick panels. The peel and stick is more for sound carrying harmonics and vibration of the metal. I see people covering the entire area but after doing research the strips are just as good. That stuff is stupid heavy.:eek: My car has no rattles and is super quiet while cruising. No road noise and the flowmasters are no longer over powering the stereo with the windows up.:cool: Oh yea...I used spay on 3m adhesive to install the wrap.

Thanks, that's very helpful! As far as I can see the Lowes bubble wrap foil stuff is mainly for heat. What's the peel and stick stuff you are talking about? Is it the same stuff Knuckle Dragger mentioned? Where can I get some? How much is it?

·
Registered
761 Posts
You can get peel and seal from just about any lowes. It is just about the same thing as dynamat, except the sticky backing is made of different material. It is designed for use on roofs (house roofs, not cars) but it works perfect for sound deadener and is very inexpensive.

I put a few rolls in my s10 and it works great.

Here's a pretty good thread about it on the H.A.M.B.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711889&highlight=peel+seal

·
Registered
667 Posts
No that's not the same stuff. I'm at work so it's easier to post this link to a good discusion. I go by the same name over there. Keep in mind not all simular products work the same.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243033&highlight=lowe's

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for the help with this. I got some Peel & Seal today at Lowes. They have it listed as item# 154017 at Lowes (thanks Knuckle Dragger!) Ask for it as a roofing product or with the item #. I first went in and asked for "sound deadener" They said they didn't have any! Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to at least begin putting it in.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Peel and stick works great on floors. Upside down or on side panels in hot weather it turns loose. When I done my nissan hardbody I used it all over and it came loose. Thought it might have been a dirty surface so I cleaned the metal really well. Stuck all winter but as soon as warmed up headliner started to sag. It let go again so I went with fatmat and bedliner in a spraybomb for areas I couldn't get well.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Peel and stick works great on floors. Upside down or on side panels in hot weather it turns loose. When I done my nissan hardbody I used it all over and it came loose. Thought it might have been a dirty surface so I cleaned the metal really well. Stuck all winter but as soon as warmed up headliner started to sag. It let go again so I went with fatmat and bedliner in a spraybomb for areas I couldn't get well.
Did you heat the peel n seal when you applied it? I have no issues here in Arizona.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First time was spring, and it let go to the point I thought the weight was gonna rip my headliner out. 2nd time was fall and it lasted till warm weather. Used a heat gun and rubber roller to install it, same with the fatmat that lasted. Truck was a silver truck, parked in the shade 99% of the time, and always used sunshades in the windows.
Of the forums I'm a member of your the first in a hot zone say it works. After it failed I looked at all the forums I'm a member of with many cases of the exact same fails. Wish I would have researched more before I wasted the money. One more thing was the rubber/asphalt-ish smell lasted for a week. Made me sick if I drove with the windows up till it was gone.
Same way with diy headliner and 3m super 77, heat it turns loose. That's another story of a teen wasting money.

Some claim to had luck getting it to stick to vert surfaces but they all still say leave it off upside down.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/p...need-cheap-sound-deadening/4665827-post5.html

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s..._session_id/8f66da7e62888cad9bd84245f36a7ffd/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/168305-post11.html

If it worked for you bud that's great but your case seems to be an exemption to the normal case of it will let go in hot weather. I know it happened to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts