Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body recommend a good set of plugs? All I have are some Autolites in there now and I see all of these fancy new configurations coming out with triple electrodes and diamond this and platinum that.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Any body recommend a good set of plugs? All I have are some Autolites in there now and I see all of these fancy new configurations coming out with triple electrodes and diamond this and platinum that.
Well I have alway's used NGK's.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've always liked AC plugs in chevrolets. I've tried NGK and Autolite race plugs in a few different heat ranges but went back to AC. Never cared for champion plugs.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I just went over to ngk and Imvery happy. Last set I had were Accel shorty plugs and I phuqen HATED them!! kept fouling up.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have always used Autolites in my small blocks. I switched last month to "NGK UR5 2771". I have been very happy with them.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've been running Bosch 7585's mainly because they are short and fit the Hooker headers I'm using. Unfortunately, Bosch no longer makes this plug. Finding short plugs nowdays is becoming difficult.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I`m in on the NGK band wagon. I`ve run them in several of my small blocks in the past and always had good luck..:yes:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
NGK and Autolite racing plugs here. I tune on the raged edge so any of the "Precious metal" plugs will detonate like CRAZY!! Especially with any nitrous use.:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I always used autolite and AC delco in my cars. But with most aluminum heads they use the long threaded plugs instead of the peanut plugs. So I've been using NGK plugs with great success. I just installed some AC delcos in this el camino I'm working on and I wished I didnt get them. They're a bit long and I may be having issues with burning boots. I should have gotten some NGK's or Accel header plugs. Hell I think even the autolites are shorter.:mad:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used to run Autolite race plugs because they tend to live the longest with my 14-1+ compression engines--when the price kept going up I switched to NGK's and never went back. NGK's are $2.00 instead of $4.99 and up for most race plugs. I ran Champions for many years until I had a VW, and it would literally spit them out! It never did it with Bosch or NGK's, but Champions would come out of the heads under a hard load! For a daily driver AC's work just fine. Stay away from any of the magic BULLS**T plugs, NONE of them are any better than a conventional single electrode plug--platinum is ok for a street car, but avoid any of that stuff with nitrous. I run projected tips when I have room around the piston tops, non-projected if on the bottle.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
if your running ac delco iridiums you are running ngk's they build them for delco
Yup...:yes:
I've even pulled some out with NGK on one side and A/C Delco on the other!

Check out a brand called Pulstar, i have heard these are some of the best
Snake oil...:rolleyes: Kinda reminiscent of the Spit-crap.

what about the Bosch Platium +2 ? are they any good? or any good even for a regular daily driver regular car?
Ok for an all (or 90%) stock, emissions controlled, EFI daily driver that is intended to have an ULTRA HOT heat range plug.:yes:

Unlike what you may have heard on advertiser TV or anywhere else, there's no real power to be found in spark plugs with any special gimmicks. There has been NOTHING better than the standard plug designs found. Maybe some that self-clean a little better (like the platinum and iridium plugs) and thus might last a little longer and MAINTAIN gas mileage but not make any more power.:no:

The ONLY thing I've seen make more power is the non-projected nose racing plugs (Autolite Racing and NGK make them) when working with HEAVY power adder applications because they have shorter (cut-back) ground straps that shed heat fast enough that unlike all of the gimmick plugs won't turn into a nice glowing ember in the combustion chamber and act like a GLOW PLUG!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts