Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best Rear End Option....UPDATE!

I'm building a 66 Nova with a fuel injected 383 and 700r4, about 500hp, and I just don't think the stock 8.2 10 bolt is going to cut it. I'm debating between a later model 8.5 10 bolt, a 12 bolt, or a Ford 9". Either way I am likely going with a 373 posi. Any opinions?

Also, if anyone has a rear end sitting around they want to make me a deal on, shoot me a PM! I am located in southern California.

Thanks!

Ok, so I came across a deal on a Chrysler 8 3/4 with 411 posi that I couldnt pass up. It is narrowed to 49", has ladder bars, single leaf relocated, and coil mounts. Also came with the front mounts for the ladder bars.

So I'm considering a few options....I really don's want to mini tub it, but might consider it.

Option 1: Have the axles and tubes lengthened. If I go this route should I still run the ladder bars? Still relocate the leafs? How much bigger tire can I get by doing this without tubs?

Option 2: Install mini tubs, ladders, coils, and leave rear end narrowed.

Or?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I looked at doing this but at the end of the day, it did not pencil for me to spend 1/2 to 2/3 of what a decent 9" would cost, to build the 8.2. It is closer to 2/3 if you consider upgrading to rear disc's while you are at it.

At the end of the day though money is money and every bit helps so it is a nice option to have.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I have posted this article before but here it is again. Just another option and more than likely a money saver over replacing what you have. The article claims his 8.2 build up will survive under an 11 sec Nova.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...d/viewall.html
I built my last 71 Nova with 500 hp small block 400 running 11.60s. Ran that car hard for almost 6 years. I put an Eaton posi, Richmond 3.73 gears, and stock axles with no issues.

Built my current one about 6 months back, but it is the 8.5.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I built my last 71 Nova with 500 hp small block 400 running 11.60s. Ran that car hard for almost 6 years. I put an Eaton posi, Richmond 3.73 gears, and stock axles with no issues.
Thats good to know, and thats the last part of my drive train I haven't done yet. I have about 400hp and don't race it so this build up should work just fine for me.

And to the OP...I understand when you feel like you want to spend a bit extra to have that extra piece of mind. I do that all the time!

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I'm building a 66 Nova with a fuel injected 383 and 700r4, about 500hp, and I just don't think the stock 8.2 10 bolt is going to cut it. I'm debating between a later model 8.5 10 bolt, a 12 bolt, or a Ford 9". Either way I am likely going with a 373 posi. Any opinions?

Also, if anyone has a rear end sitting around they want to make me a deal on, shoot me a PM! I am located in southern California.

Thanks!
Well with that kind of power, it's time to put the "big boy" pants on and install a Ford 9". :D

There's nothing to debate! :no:

A 9" is really the best choice. :yes:

Unless you're a "master debater"! :eek:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went 9" out of a Lincoln Versailles. You will need to upgrade the gears and put a posi unit in it but those cars came stock with disc brakes which was a plus. Idk how wide a rear you need. I put it in my 4th gen nova. All I had to do was move the spring plates and make the shocks both mount in the front because with disc brakes you can't have staggered shocks because it won't clear the drivers side passenger (at least on the 4th gens). Not too bad and I haven't looked back since, I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
29 Posts
What about a Ford 8.8"? Pretty much a copy of a 12 bolt.
That's the way I'm going for my 72 nova. Seems like a popular way to go, the common "recipe" is shorten the long side three inches and use two short side axles. It seems the explorer rearends are all posi and come in 3.47, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 ratios. Mine is a 4.10 and though I probably would have picked 3.73 gears the price was right (free) on mine so no complaints. Now I will just go with a 2004R trans instead of the turbo 350.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
3,970 Posts
What about a Ford 8.8"? Pretty much a copy of a 12 bolt.
The nice thing about a 9" is:
1. Easier to work on.
2. stronger than just about anything.
3. Lighter than any of equal strength.
4. Parts availability.

I run a 8.2 but at some point (about 500 H.P.) you will want to upgrade and the niner is king.:yes:

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I am guessing my new combo is between 520 and 540 hp so my 8.5 is plenty strong for that kind of power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree the 9" is the best option, that's probably the route I am going to head unless a smoking deal comes up on a built 10 or 12 bolt.....

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Unless your going to tub it and put some big tires you will never hook up to hurt the rearend.
I'd say that this is somewhat true.

However with todays drag radials even a narrow tire can get real sticky, sticky enough to wreak some havoc.

However the O.P. did ask for "the best" and not what he could use. But then, with 500 horse and a sticky tire, if you wanted to play it safe then the 9" would be the way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so I came across a deal on a Chrysler 8 3/4 with 411 posi that I couldnt pass up. It is narrowed to 49", has ladder bars, single leaf relocated, and coil mounts. Also came with the front mounts for the ladder bars.

So I'm considering a few options....I really don's want to mini tub it, but might consider it.

Option 1: Have the axles and tubes lengthened. If I go this route should I still run the ladder bars? Still relocate the leafs? How much bigger tire can I get by doing this without tubs?

Option 2: Install mini tubs, ladders, coils, and leave rear end narrowed.

Or?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I am building a 9" for my car now.
I ran the stock 8.2 10 bolt with a set of 4.56 strange gears and a posi for 15 years on the street with zero issues.
The track would have been a different story, which is why I'm upgrading before I run her for the first time.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The nice thing about a 9" is:
1. Easier to work on.
2. stronger than just about anything.
3. Lighter than any of equal strength.
4. Parts availability.

I run a 8.2 but at some point (about 500 H.P.) you will want to upgrade and the niner is king.:yes:
You forget a ford 9" is roughly 30 lbs heavier and suffers from aprox a 3% drop in HP along with increased fliud temps as compared to a 12 bolt. The pinion shaft on a 9" is 1.313" compare that to 1.625 in the 12 bolt. I know the .125 larger ring gear, and pinion placement in a 9" make for greater tooth contact (and heat) so the gear set should be stronger.

Has one ever really been proven to be stronger than the other?

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
You forget a ford 9" is roughly 30 lbs heavier and suffers from aprox a 3% drop in HP along with increased fliud temps as compared to a 12 bolt. The pinion shaft on a 9" is 1.313" compare that to 1.625 in the 12 bolt. I know the .125 larger ring gear, and pinion placement in a 9" make for greater tooth contact (and heat) so the gear set should be stronger.

Has one ever really been proven to be stronger than the other?
Bingo, I was going to mention the hp loss yesterday, but had enough.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I am building a 9" for my car now.
I ran the stock 8.2 10 bolt with a set of 4.56 strange gears and a posi for 15 years on the street with zero issues.
The track would have been a different story, which is why I'm upgrading before I run her for the first time.
Ran my 8.2 at the track many many times with sticky tires and no issues. It would lift the front tires an inch or two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I've done some research and lengthening the axles/tubes is not really a cost effective option.

So if I run this rear end, whiich is 9" shorter than stock, is my only option to run tubs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts