Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I decide to re-build my 8.5 inch rear end. What is the best general rear-end ratio for a nice mild driver so that is gets noticeable extra snap off the line but is still driveable on the highway? I have 350/350 combo, OE stall, OE shift points.

If I understand my car currently has the 3.08 rear gears. Will changing the rear gear ratio really make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
55 Posts
To keep it liveable on the highway I wouldnt go any steeper than 3.43 or 3.73 with a turbo 350. If more highway than town driving is planned I would go with 3.43.
If you had an overdrive you gould go with 4.11s. A freind of mine has a 75 1/2 ton chevy pickup with a mild olds 455, 700R 4, and 4.11s, it idles almost stock and catches a lot of people off guard. It really jumps out of the hole for a unit that weighs almost 5000 pounds, and since its a truck we got some pretty big drag radia;s under it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Gearing can make a big difference in performance...it can also make a big difference in MPG:eek: ...and at todays prices that is a consideration...I second the idea that in most situations (with a non overdrive tranny) 3.73's are about as steep as you will ever want in a car that will see highway time...Depending on tire dia the car might be screaming at ya just to do the speed limit (3000++RPM)

If you went from 3.08's to 3.73's I'm sure you will be happy with the performance upgrade....hopefully the downgrade in MPG will not be too drastic....good luck

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
NovaNate,
After discussing the same thing with a few people, I decided on to sit a set of 3.55's in my 8.2.

With a 350/350 combo, the 3.55's, and 206-60-15's on each corner, the engine would rev at about 3000 rpm at 60 mph. Since I do a considerable amount of highway driving and didn't particularly like that, the T350 was replaced with a 700R4. It makes cruising much more enjoyable, and made a noticeable difference in fuel economy (about 2000 rpm at 60mph now).

Before making a final decision on the ratio, play with numbers on this site to get a feeling for what kind of rpm's you'll be running at and see what you'd feel comfortable with;
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

Hope this helps

·
Registered
218 Posts
When i switched my rear gears from a 3.23 to a 3.73 I really didn t feel any
power difference. It might get you a tenth or 2 at the track but for the $200.00 plus labor/or your time, I would wait until you do other upgrades and then do it all at once. If yo put 3.73 in and later you want a cam that calls for 4.11 or deeper, then you have to buy parts twice. I'm going through this now. I have a torker II intake that the garbage man wont even pick up. Save your money for some better heads and maybee a better cam, and then you can change gears. It will feel like a whole new car.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I have to agree with Joe on this spend the money on the motor in stead of the gas 3.08's aren't real bad gears but the M/gallon is well worth leaving them unless the track is where you spend your spare time.Talk to some buddies that may have rides with different ratios and stock motors.You just start to notice 3.73's but,4.11,4.56 and 4.88's will make a more noticeable difference but you pay at the pumps.I ran L82 700R4 and 4.11's in an S10 great all round combo and sleeper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts