Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the axles out out of my rearend because the seals were leaking. Then I noticed that the splines were twisted on the axles. Worth to mention, I only have a couple miles on this rearend and a few burnouts. So, I just guess they are too weak. I built this rearend mostly for fun, to experiment a bit and apparently the axles are the weakest link so far.

Its a GM 8.5 with stock posi and new bearings... Axles are Volvo which means Dana components. They are shortened and resplined which is not supergood I know that...

I use Volvo ends on the outer tubes so I got mounts for discbrakes and got rid of the C-clips in one "cut and weld". Tubes are welded 360 degrees at the housing.

Now Im looking for another rearend, but really dont know whats best bang for the buck out there. Im running a 420 small block with around 550 hp, plenty of torque, TH 350 tranny with 3600 stall, 3.42 gears and 325 M/T DOT street slicks. Ive been looking at Strange S60 rearend for years, but really dont know, what would be the best choice.

Some input would be Great!!!

Thank You

/Matt

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check out the Moser Engineering web site for a complete rear. Or...maybe they could make you new axles for your 8.5, which should be a strong enough rear for your power level, if you get good axles. They may need measurements to machine the Volvo end. This would be way less money than a whole new rear. give them a shout.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would go with a 4.11 gear just to relieve the twist...big tires that get too much grip combined with gears that wanna spin tires very fast creates the situation you encountered...you have 3 choices...more power from the engine to easily over power the tires...go to a narrower tire so they can be over powered to relieve stress...or a lower gear ratio to such as 4.11 to slow the tire down and transfer the torque...I never get past 1/3 throttle till I hit the other gear (2 speed auto)
or you had crap axles to begin with...but you got lucky they didn't snap off and you caught it when you did

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mark Williams once told me an axle will break at the spline when it twists one complete spline over. You're not quite there, but getting close. Get good axles and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Would be really smart if you could go to 30 spline if it isn't already.
Just a estimate count looking at the posted pic looks like 28 spline.

Either way, a Moser/Dutchman/Currie /Williams/Strange axle is a bunch tougher than any stock GM or Volvo piece.

I would really suspect the Volvo axle, and maybe due to the cut OD for resplining too, for being weaker than a stock GM shaft. I've run 11.50 sec 1/4 @3500 lbs lifting the front tires off the pavement on stock 25 year old 28 spline factory 8.5" axles back in the late 1990's and did it for 10 years and never bent splines like that. Similar engine and set-up as yours...406, 3400 stall, 3.90 gear, TH-400, 27"x 9 M&H tires, all steel '72 Nova street car

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
you said the axles were re-splinded. i just wonder if the heat treat is not correct on that axle after it was re splined. check the hardness on that axle an the hardness on a known good axle. any heat treating shop will have the tool to do that check.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I pulled the axles out out of my rearend because the seals were leaking. Then I noticed that the splines were twisted on the axles. Worth to mention, I only have a couple miles on this rearend and a few burnouts. So, I just guess they are too weak. I built this rearend mostly for fun, to experiment a bit and apparently the axles are the weakest link so far.

Its a GM 8.5 with stock posi and new bearings... Axles are Volvo which means Dana components. They are shortened and resplined which is not supergood I know that...

I use Volvo ends on the outer tubes so I got mounts for discbrakes and got rid of the C-clips in one "cut and weld". Tubes are welded 360 degrees at the housing.

Now Im looking for another rearend, but really dont know whats best bang for the buck out there. Im running a 420 small block with around 550 hp, plenty of torque, TH 350 tranny with 3600 stall, 3.42 gears and 325 M/T DOT street slicks. Ive been looking at Strange S60 rearend for years, but really dont know, what would be the best choice.

Thank You

/Matt
Cool Problem . Shows great traction. Custom Street/Drag axles should Fix @ least cost. If Budget allows , S60 , 9" made to order will handle even more power. I stepped my 8.5 up to 30 spline , using a Tru-Trac and rdy made Moser axles. But then my 2 ton 352cid 72 only turns 12.80s with 275 M/Ts

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank You

/Matt
I just had a Dana 60 rear by Strange Engineering installed with 3.73 gears and 11" drum breaks. I have a 383 stroker just under 400hp. Nice feel to it and great burn outs.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thank You

/Matt
ok,i just purchase 9 in tru loc 350 gear 31 spline axles from john industry in mich .best price around that includes wilwood disk and powder coat i am installing this rear in my 73 nova that making 622 hp and 590 tq they said will handle 800hp no problem give them a call...

·
Registered
6 Posts
ANYBODY LOOKING FOR 8.5 10 BOLT FOR NOVA 73 WITH POSI 28 SPLINE AXLE WITH DIFFERENTIAL COVER COMPLETE GOING TO BE ASKING $1100.THAT DIFF CAN HANDLE UP TO 400 HP.HAS 3:73 GM GEARS........

·
4,534 Posts
Wow those axles were machined way in to the soft material. Who ever machined those should have warned you how easily those would fail. Those should have been custom made and not resplined.

Miles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts